Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 01:39:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

American football

Started by gene, October 06, 2013, 05:54:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

October 06, 2013, 05:54:41 pm Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:00:32 pm by gene
- the way God intended football to be played: concussion causing plastic helmets, body padding, massive amounts of performance enhancing drugs, heated benches when it is cold outside and cooling stations when the weather is a bit on the warm side. And don't forget a league minimum of $500,000.00 per year salary.

I watched Payton Manning this evening.

Me and 2 million other folks who don't give a hoot about Denver or Dallas, (along with a few hundred thousand Denver and Dallas fans who do give a hoot), watched that game to see the Payton Manning show.

And Tony Romo showed up with his own awesome display of incredible fireworks. It's got to be tough to throw for over 500 yards and still loose the game.

It came down to who would make a mistake late in the game.

I hated to see either one loose. A great game!

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

October 06, 2013, 06:59:03 pm #1 Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:29:03 pm by sofadoc
Being a lifelong Cowboy fan, NOBODY is sicker about today's game than me.

I've decided to take matters into my own hands.
I was at the stadium last week for a kid's flag football game. We practically had the whole stadium to ourselves, so I held an impromptu press conference to announce our future QB:

While I was there, I got to visit the locker rooms of some of my "favorite" Cowboys:
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Man thats super! I take it thats the grandson. That is some day for the both of ya to remember, Wait when he's 20 and recalls that.
Have a Good Day

SteveA

I like football - but baseball is my sport.   - there is some decent income generated by football - probably zillions !  - I wonder if more guys play for the salary than love of the game.  The question is > is it worth seeing the amount of players hurt every week in college and the pros for us to enjoy this action.  I say no -  The orthopedist and MRI guys will do just fine without feeding them injured players every Monday morning.
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on October 07, 2013, 02:15:54 am
I like football - but baseball is my sport.
Baseball is my first love also. I know that many people think that it's boring. I wish the networks wouldn't take a 2 1/2 hour game, and drag it out to nearly 4 hours.

But what I find really boring, is watching cars drive around in a circle, or 2 Basketball teams going up and down the court making basket after basket. Or one of those "thrilling"  ::) nil-nil soccer matches. And Golf? OK I get it. You're trying to hit the ball into that little hole........yawn. Hockey?........I blinked my eyes, and missed the only goal of the game.

A guy calls his bookie.
"What do you have that I can bet on?"

Bookie says "Well, we got Football......wanna bet on that?"

Guy says "NO WAY!! The Super Bowl cost me 5 grand last year"

Bookie: "What about Baseball?"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I lost my house because of the World Series"

Bookie: "Basketball?"

"Are you KIDDING? The NBA finals cost me my pink slip"

Bookie: "Well......all we got left is Hockey. Wanna bet on some Hockey?"

Guys says "HOCKEY?...........What in the hell do I know about Hockey?" 

gene

October 07, 2013, 03:08:44 pm #5 Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:13:00 pm by gene
Cute kid!

I've lost most interest in sports. I tend to pick and choose whenever I watch. I saw highlights of rugby recently, New Zealand beat South Africa. I've even watched a few Cricket matches. Now that's an interesting sport.

I think sports are like food and religion: you tend to stick to whatever you grew up with. After the Big Red Machine in the 1970's, I can't imagine rooting for anyone but the Cincinnati Reds. I don't care for soccer. I don't like oysters on the half shell, and I don't like lobster.

We have a chili here in Cincinnati called Skyline, that looks like runny diareaha. It has cinnamon in it. You put it on spagetti with cheese and beans and onions if you want. I've had people from out of town yell at me claiming it's not "chili". I love it, but I can see me never eating it if I hadn't grown up with it.

People tend to stick with the same religion they grew up with, in general. It's unusual for someone to go from one strict religion to another strict religion - such as a Baptist becoming a Catholic. Folks in strict religions tend to go to the 'fluff' types of churches - a lot of positive thinking and very little theology, if they don't give it up totally.

I do love excellence, whereever it's found. Payton Manning and Tony Romo certainly put on an excellent show yesterday. (With a little help from the other 10 guys on the field with them.)

gene

sofadoc

We just call it "Cincinnati Chili" around here. Been eating it for years. Best way to eat chili, or spaghetti.

I remember the BRM of the 70's very well. I was a big Astro fan back then. It PO'd me that Joe Morgan was so mediocre for Houston, but became a superstar for Cincy. I loved it when Houston played the Reds, because WLW 700 came in here better than the Dallas station that carried the Astros.

gene

October 08, 2013, 05:31:19 am #7 Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:31:07 pm by gene
Joe Morgan's name came up in discussions about the new manager for the Reds. It won't happen. He is a class guy and he did play a mean second base. His name always comes up because he's stayed with the game as an announcer and commentator and with the commercials he did during the 70's he's remained popular here in Cincinnati.

WLW radio in Cincinnati and KDKA in Pittsburg were two of many radio stations who had 50,000 watts. These two stations took care of the copper cables that were underground that gave them their broadcast power. This is why they have been able to broadcast so far for so long. All other big radio stations had their cables deteriorate.

I asked my son why Notre Dame football is on TV all the time, even when they don't have a winning team. He said that for years they were the only college team to be on TV and that exposure gave them a tremendous following for a lot of folks that were not necessarily Notre Dame alumni.

This is similar to the Reds. A lot of older folks throughout Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, down to Florida, and West Virginia, have been Reds fans because years ago this was the baseball team they could listen to on a regular basis.

Anyone not from a Nordic country ever eat Lutefisk? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

gene

Mojo

Foot ball has always been my sport. Played QB in high school and coached until 3 years ago when I retired from coaching. I lettered in all three sports - Baseball, basketball and football but loved football. I still watch a game now and then but to be honest I am just to busy to sit and spend a full afternoon watching. I still cheer for my teams - Packers and Spartans. :)

NASCAR ?? I could write a book about. I worked as a marketing and PR consultant to teams and drivers and retired in 2000. I have never been back to a race or stayed in touch with my clients. Most of the drivers I worked directly with are retired anyways. The average marketing consultant back then lasted 3 years max. The schedule was so grueling that no one could keep up the pace for more then 3 years. I cannot stand these snot nosed brat's driving race cars these days. Most were born with a silver spoon and want their asses kissed.

Outside of football I do not watch any sports anymore.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on October 08, 2013, 05:31:19 am
I asked my son why Notre Dame football is on TV all the time, even when they don't have a winning team. He said that for years they were the only college team to be on TV and that exposure gave them a tremendous following for a lot of folks that were not necessarily Notre Dame alumni.
Yup! Every Sunday morning, I watched a 1 hour condensed version of the ND game played the day before. And part of that condensing included deleting anything good done by the opponent. I think that's why so many people thought the Irish could do no wrong.

scottymc

BigJohn

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison