Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 06:51:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Time improvements

Started by Mike, September 25, 2013, 06:36:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

September 25, 2013, 06:36:23 am Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:42:26 am by Mike
I just got a email on the se regional canvas workshop.

One of the things will be on technoligy.

(The Cad and Technology department will be demonstrating various techniques and processes that are used in the facility including design, camera and 3d digitizing, cutter plotter operations, and CNC design and cutting operations.)

I wont even gueese the cost to do this  3d digitizing cad program and musbe a cutter plotter  
Im sure it would be fast but i couldn raise cost to cover this technoligy to be incorporated in my shop.
And to pa for it in time saved as more canvas could be made. First you would need more customers so as not to have downtime at all. Customers here want to pay as low as possible going with the best price in most cases. And lik mojo. Last week here was dead so faster. Would jus have given me more time off and a bigger expense.   I wonder. Are theese shops really
That busy and people will pay for this service?

Its like monday. I have 1000sf. Filled with 2 tables no room to bring a boat inside.
And 99.9 percent wont anyway. So i put in a suspended ceiling for ac. And now no boat eill ever come in.  I could double my rent and get space nect to me for inside work wouldnt be worth it fot a dew boats a year. But having them come to me saves me time. And that is not worth it for more shop space.  How could this cad stuff either.

MinUph

I'm sure this new technology is for large operations. Factories and the like. Little guys don't have the quantities to do this unless you are building a business to cater to be a factory supplier.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Little guys are dropping out of most business based on hand crafted items, one at a time.  It is true that customers want it cheap, technology not only can produce faster but also cheaper per unit, meaning they can sell cheaper than the small shops.

You can run a computer around the clock without a lot of labor. 

A higher volume producer can buy the same materials the small shop does but cheaper.

I would be interested in reading on this, how will this newer technology be presented?

Doyle

Mojo

My major competitor is a large manufacturer. They have the big awning making machines that can make an awning in record time. Yet I am priced right in line with their product line. I have healthy margins so you can imagine what their margins are like with bulk purchasing, large industrial automated machines, etc.

Then again maybe their margins are not as healthy as I think. There is alot of overhead with large factories, $ 200 K machines, etc.

I have no idea as to how much market share I have but I am sure it is miniscule when compared to the Big Three awning makers. Most of them have branched off into residential because of the horrible RV sales. I believe that new coach sales, as an industry, is off 65 % since their peak in 2005. Still I would love to know what their combined volume is in fabric replacements. Unfortunately none are listed on the stock market and are privately held companies I believe.

I enjoy my little niche and it is all I can handle. These machines I am sure are expensive. CNC programming is very expensive. Still how many large Marine canvas companies are there ?

Chris

Mike

I had a customer this summer who was friend with the owner of http://gioiasails.com/home/
he sad he heard they were down with the economy also ,how much?