Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 01:18:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

outdoor use of polyester loose batting

Started by gene, May 23, 2017, 03:49:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I have some outdoor back cushions that have loose polyester batting fill. The insert cover has deteriorated so I will make new insert covers.

If I add some loose polyester batting that I use for indoor cushions to help fill out the cushion, will that be OK to do for these outdoor cushions? The owner said they are outside under a roof and do not get wet. I am putting an acrylic outdoor fabric on them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

There really isn't any loose poly that is flow thru that I'm aware of. There is treated bonded dacron that won't absorb water like normal but no loose. So if you need to add it it will be fine. We do all the time.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

I have worked on cushions (call them patio I guess) that had a synthetic filler that described; would be strands of filler.  It wasn't the dacron typical foam cushion wrap type of synthetic, much coarser filler.  I note it when I see it and often wonder where more could be obtained as it has some benefit when building/enhancing cushions. 

Good subject Gene, I suppose it could also include a definitive focus on cushion fillers:

Examples in my experience include:

1.  Dacron wrap (already mentioned above)
  2.  There is a bonded material  sold by bigger fabric chains that is possibly similar
       to the bonded dacron Paul mentioned.  This would work on patio I would think.
       What would be t he best way to cut it?  It possibly could be cut with a saw, I have
        noted that it looks like it could have been run through a blade.  Fairly expensive,
       might appeal to those who prefer a softer feeling pad than foam.
  3.  Then, in relatively newer furniture, noted primarily in backrest cushions that a strand
       type (usually dk brown filler) is often used.  It would be cheaper than foam.  But, it
      has also been noted to pack down.
  4.  Also, there is a lighter colored loose filler used in cushions (newer furniture again).

There is other fillers noticed in newer manufacturing.

Speaking of what is seen, along with that cotton batting sure is on the decline in the
newer furniture built (that I have worked on).

In Gene's case, could you insert a thin poly foam in these patio cushions?  They do not
get wet?

Supplies change don't they!

Doyle     

65Buick

On #3 - I believe this is pig hair. I could be wrong. It is also used in dog beds. I have found it to be quite durable, actually.

gene

Do you use regular synthetic lining to make the insert cover? I would think that cotton lining would not last. The lining on these outdoor cushion inserts has deteriorated and left a lot of white dust.

I did a chair recently that had cow tail hair in it. That's what the tag said and it was reddish and not as springy as horse hair nor as springy as pig hair. I would not have know it was cow tail hair unless there was a tag.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!