Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 05:05:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

boat carpet binding

Started by fragged8, December 15, 2015, 05:08:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hi guys,
im looking for advice for binding boat carpets, using attachments against using attachments. or would i be better investing in a binding machine ?  also where to get uv resistant carpet binding tapes.

thanks guys n gals ..
richard

Mike

I  havnt done any latly Rich, but when I did I just use sunbrella binding 1" is a bit easier sow and steady.

Mojo

Rich:

I use a binding attachment and 1 " Recacril binding. I would not go any less then 1 inch. I bound a piece of heavy pile carpet for our Bus about a year or so ago. It was not fun because the piece was 14 ft long. But it came out great. We cut the pile down near the edge to make it easier to get into the binding attachment. It came out great and looks nice and has held up well.
We have several more small carpet runners to do yet during our remodel of the coach.

We bought a large carpet remnant at a store and had it bound by a guy who uses a binding machine. The binding is already coming off the edge of the carpet and it is less then two years old. I am not impressed with these machines. I would have done the carpet myself but it was a huge piece and too hard to get through our binder and machine. This guy travels all over the area binding carpet for carpet stores. His machine is on wheels and it travels around the edges of the carpet.

You should be able to get Recacril binding in the UK since Recacril is a European fabric. I like it much better then Sunbrella.

Chris