Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 07:32:10 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help !! bucket helm seat ?

Started by fragged8, June 25, 2013, 02:06:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

June 25, 2013, 02:06:55 am Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:14:33 am by fragged8
hi guys n gals.

its been 2 years since I upholstered a bucket helm seat and i think i'm patterning myself into a corner ?
Knowing how great you guys are could someone point me in the right direction please ?

Here's what i have done, I have 2 seats the same to do so only stripped one so far. the seats have a seam inside and outside the arm and i understand why.
I patterned the arms but made the patterns baggy and taped up the baggy parts to cope with the curves and want to rely on the vinyl stretch to pull into shape.

another thing i did was moved the seam higher on the arm , was that a mistake ?

the baggy pattern works ok does anyone else make baggy patterns like this ? but i really wanted to make the arms without seams in the middle is this possible or am i buying into a world of pain ?

one place that is causing me problems making the arm in 4 parts is the front where the arm meets the base. even taking up the pattern baggyness it's still hard to pattern that shape.. ?

Would I just be better off cutting the old cover apart and using that as a pattern ??

regards
Rich

forsailbyowner

one thing ive found that helps is to take an extra 1/4" to 3/8" off the patterns where it folds under the base. I find I get much better results having to stretch it into place if that makes any sense.

JuneC

Most arms have a diagonal seam right where the arm meets the base.  It makes the fitting easier.  If you don't want to do that, get out the heat gun.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

June 26, 2013, 05:01:24 am #3 Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:03:38 am by Mike
There was a article in the marine fabricator. That showed using old skins as a pattern.
Kinda loke your wrinkly pattern the old
Skins dont lay flat do they make reliefe. Uts in the. Inhl so it would lay flat  yes it doese make the pattern piece a bit larger that has to be shunk sewing  
Ill look up the article i believe i still have it saved online

http://marinefabricatormag.com/articles/0311_st2_inside_covers.html

fragged8

surprisingly mike the wrinkly patterns do work !! I have made an arm piece as a tester
and it fits fine except at the point in the last picture. thats a bitch for wrinkles

The first ever skin i made was on a Bayliner type bucket seat and using the wrinkly pattern
there was no need for a seam on the inside curve . I did a full skin in 2 1/2hrs

My problem is its been so long since i covered a bucket seat i've forgotten how i did it :-)
but i think i may have the school vid on my server if i can find it..

Mike

im sure they work like the articles wrinkly skins.  im surprised no heat or steam was needed 

fragged8

well heres the result of my wrinkly patterns ..

i'm 90% happy with it :-)

Mojo

Looks great Richard. Good job mate. :)

There are med's for that 10 % ya know. or so they tell me......:)

Chris

baileyuph

Doesnt' look bad at all Richard, you haven't forgotten how to do boat seats!

The vinyl fairly soft, I don't see wrinkles?  You did a great job of lining up the pleats on both seats.

I suppose you used flat sew foam?  About how thick, 1/2 inch?  I guess you drawed the sewing lines on the vinyl with a pencil?  I always struggle with using pencil and getting it too dark.  There are professional markers that even disappear after time, but I go with chalk or a light pencil line saying I should get a decent marker, but never do.

The customer should be very happy with the seats.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Doyle

Mike

July 05, 2013, 07:35:45 pm #9 Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:36:35 pm by Mike
looks great rich . I removed the upholstery out of a pontoon Monday  and  installed today  

fragged8

Thanks guys, I may have also got some auto work after another customer saw these :-)

Yes i used a 1/2 scrim foam for the pleats and I also used it for the arms and back to flatten out the old groves in the original foam.
Pencil on the vinyl and sharpie on the foam so it doesn't bleed through, I hope hehe

That last 10% Mojo I always struggle with :-) I so want to be a perfectionist but I know it will cost me too much money in lost time etc so have to kick myself sometimes to accept those little bits that annoy me .. where can i get those meds hehe

I so wish i was as fast as you Mike, i might actually make some money. Even on your worst day you're twice as fast as me !!

momto3fatdogs

Take it for what it's worth, becasue I have ZERO experience! But I think it's gorgeous.

Sam