Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:10:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Serger

Started by Mojo, August 25, 2016, 04:15:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

We are expanding our product line and this will include having to buy a serger. I dread it but it is a must.

The serger will be used on awning valances as well as the edges of canvas pieces. My question to the gang here: Does anyone have any experience with one ? This is probably a machine I will buy new versus used. From what I can understand they can be a mechanical nightmare buying used.

The one being suggested to me to handle heavier thread 90 - 138 is the Juki MO-6900G . I am just wondering if anyone has any feedback and experience with sergers. I assume a 3 or 4 thread serger will get the job done.

Thanks,

Chris

Darren Henry

I've got limited experience with sergers but can attest that they are finicky to work on. We have one at work that I spent hours and hours trying to get it to sew before I gave up and stowed it in one of the out buildings.

A 3 thread unit is all you need for facing valences etc..., but if I were investing in a new machine I'd want to get a 5 thread so that I had the option to sew and serge two pieces together for specialty items or if I added another product that required it. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I've done a little research on sergers just in case a good deal ever falls into my lap.

From what I can tell, the model that you mentioned is truly the "Holy Grail" of sergers.

Think back to when you sewed on a 1 thread machine for the very first time, and the learning curve to avoid tangles. Well now, you can multiply that learning curve by 3,4, or even 5.

I've almost bought a couple of older Juki MO-2500 series, but we couldn't quite agree on price. In both cases, the seller was someone who had acquired the machine from a relative, and knew absolutely nothing about operating it. So I got cold feet (since there was nobody there who could show me how to test drive it).

I hope you'll post some videos of this bad boy if you get it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

I have a 3-thread Baby Loci (I believe) bought new and it, like Sofa says, takes an understanding and a "touch" to use, but once achieved, works like a dream.  Just learning how to thread is a trip!

I am finding it is used more today than when bought new maybe 20 years ago, the synthetics today almost require serging - hate the stuff because it will ravel in a minute.  Turns out, it took time to realize it is built like a rock.  Use it on a lot of arm covers and head covers (older customers request these things - still).

Mojo is looking at a heavier machine, I know, but they work on the materials there also.

They can save time getting a durable edge on a synthetic material, like I commented.

Doyle

Mojo

Thanks everyone.

Scares me to have to deal with one of these machines as they seem if they get out of whack it can be hours getting them back to sewing properly. I think my fear is of the unknown. I can work on a walking foot machine in my sleep. Sergers........ Not a clue as to where to start.

I contacted Bob Kovar and he wants me to send him a sample of what I will be sewing so he can size a machine properly. That is the one thing I like about Bob, he always seems to go the extra mile and wont guess on what you need. He wants to see what it is we are sewing and what we want to accomplish. He has asked and I have sent him Solarfix thread before so he could set up our machines properly before shipping them. I pull the machine out of the box and it is sewing perfectly. Not one adjustment needed.

I have an older awning with the scalloped serged end on the valance. I am going to cut that up and send that to him along with a hunk of our fabric.

The boss ( my wife ) is an accomplished seamstress and stitcher and has a lot of experience serging garments. She can look at something that has been serged and tell how many needles and spools they used. She said to get a 4 spool machine but that a 3 spool would do the job as long as it would handle 90 thread.

Chris

MinUph

Doyle brought up a good point in a new thread.
  I used a machine. I don't know what it is called but I used in next door to a job I worked years ago in cocoa beach. I would sew large pieces together and it would surge the edge and trim it off at the same time. I felt this was a magical machine at the time. Not that I used it all day or anything but the girl never seemed to have trouble with it. Either did I. Sorry but I don't know the brand or model.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

That would have been a 5 thread machine. Two threads make a lock stitch 1/2" from the knife then the other 3 form the overlock stitch right behind the knife. If you don't want the seam, just pull the needle and those 2 threads. That was why I suggested a 5 tread.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Darren, you think just like that other foreigner, the wife. She said the same thing. I just wasn't sure if it would sew with one needle and two spools pulled. ( I hate it when she is right. Dang Aussies & Cannucks. )

Her thinking is that if we are spending the money to spend an extra $ 200 or so and get the 5 spool as it would be more versatile rather then being limited to 3 spools.

If this machine breaks down I will have to fly you down here to fix it Sgt Major. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Hey Chris. I have a few questions (I'm trying to get a better understanding of sergers myself).

What kind of additional thread expense do you anticipate?
I'm assuming the serger will use a lighter weight thread than your normal WF machine?

I see that the Juki MO 6916 G is bottom feed, and the J model is top/bottom feed. Will you be getting the J?

Do these models operate on 110V or 220V?

Mojo

Dennis:

How Ironic. I sent these same questions to Bob and will let you know what he says or recommends.
I believe they will run on 110 clutch or servo motors.

I am leaning towards the bottom feed as I have a lot less problems with our bottom feed machines then I do the top feed. The bottom feed, because they have a bobbin case could care less if you pull on the threads during starting a stitch run. The top feeds are very finicky on starts and you better pull on those threads or you end up with a thread jam in the hook mechanism. But I am not sure if the sergers work off the same principle.

What surprises me is all the cooler stuff. Machine oil cooler, needle cooler, etc. These thin gs must run at ridiculous RPM's. I think the max rpm is 6,000 but not sure.

In regards to thread I will go with either 69 or 90 depending on how each one looks on the fabric and will use Sunguard Poly. No way will I use Solarfix as the cost is outrageous ( $ 200 for a 1 lb spool ). I talked to Chris at Miami and they carry Sunguard in different size spools. So I will probably go with the 8 oz and then order it in different colors.

With our current production level's we are spending about $ 4 - 500 a month on Solarfix thread alone. I do not want to increase that with using Solarfix on the serger. It would be $ 1,000 to initially set the machine up with Solarfix in just one color so we will stick with Sunguard.

Chris

sofadoc

Chris

We may be confusing the terms "top feed" and "top load".
When I say "top feed" I'm referring to the feeding mechanism being on top. Not the location of the bobbin case.

Some of the used sergers that I've looked at on local CL ads definitely will not handle 69 or 92 thread.

MinUph

Chris,
  I've just done research and some testing of Poly threads. I have tried Sunguard before and some colors gave me fits. Stuck to itself on the spool and failed to feed well. I have ended up switching to Solar Guard. It is from a company Superior threads.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/thread/?brand=Bonded+Polyester&thickness=%2369

The link is to this thread if your interested.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Now that you mention it. I had a problem with Sunguard doing the same thing. The spool just would not feed right.

I will check into this thread you mentioned. Thanks for the tip.

Chris

gene

Chris,

Sailrite.com has a forum. They may have info on sergers there. Sewing sails and such seems to me to be similar in some ways to what you do.

Good luck.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!