Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 08:57:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Table edge

Started by brmax, June 19, 2015, 07:23:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

I am looking for your Pro thoughts with the "edge" of cutting table or layout, cut, sew table all in one.
Tomorrow with some materials I intend to tac a frame structure with 2x2x1/8" angle iron.

I am asking for any preference you really need, like or may want different in any future table build for your specific task.  Bluntly speaking I value your opinions and better able to consider any specifics.

I have been around a few with say 3/4" up to a 2x6 side edge or close to that dimension,  A top for this table im thinking about this weekend is one of a do all table, and roughly 8x16 forward and 5x8 next and rearward of me at the machine.

At this time I don't have a plotter or cutter to mount atop anything, but will listen to any ones ideas as it could help in the future for some.

I understand everyone might use the table different but in this one im considering will take staples and other awl types.

Its open so im all ears and thanks for your discussion
Good day there everyone

Darren Henry

I love this game! I get to design like a maniac and not pay for the material or find room for it in my little shop. KEWL!

>8X16 is a big table. I would suggest weight bearing legs down that long a span because you are going to be jumping up on it---and there may be some heavy stuff already there. I'd make them "inside" the table so you don't stub your toe on them while trying to reach across that wide a table. Like the kick plate on your kitchen cabinets.
[wait a minute???]---if you made the outside 1 ft on each side a drop leaf you wouldn't need to use all 8 feet of floor space all the time and your framing becomes a simple cube again while still giving you that kick panel.

>I'd have two shelves underneath for storage. One just above toe height and the other set for what you intend to store there. The bottom shelf will secure the base of your legs and keep your goods off the floor for air movement and "flood protection".

>I want a stand at the far end for roll goods. Picture a weight lifting bench with rolls of vinyl etc...to spool off onto the cutting table. I'd leave it the full 8 feet wide and anchor my drop leaves to it with pins (or what ever) when I needed them up. You'll probably want a couple of support legs down the length as well. I don't have a picture of the set up I had in Kenora but maybe mike still has one from his shop. I remember him posting it once. they are slick!!

>Business/work flow/ and available space change over time. I would want to be very flexible. I suggest four bolt together sections : 2-8X8, the sewing station, and then the 5X8. I have a 5 1/2 X8 cutting table at work with rolled goods stored underneath. Three large guys and I couldn't drag it over once it was loaded. I know locking swivel castors aren't cheap---but you are going to have this table for life and I wouldn't be without them. "In for a dime--in for a dollar" as they say. Picture unloading ALL  that stuff on the shelves ( and finding some place to put it) so you can slide the table(s) over 4 feet to paint the floor, or 6" to add a new piece of equipment etc...

>Castors also would make framing easier as you just flush the bottom to the legs giving you instant kick panels and the plate you weld into the corners to mount them to prevents any twist between the legs.

Just my .0167 USD grin.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

hey Darren BIG thanks!
  That's Experience why you know exactly what you need, and Super Glad to have your ideas.
I didn't get through the first paragraph and understand the better change of a lower shelf and 2.
Going to read on but just wanted to make a quick post of Thanks

I have an appropriate saying and it fits here, and its the reason I ask here from you Pros

Go Pro or Go Home

brmax

Doing some cutting today both steel and the poor grass outside a pita it was, raining for two weeks.
The Missouri's up quite a bit and many of its tributaries, lucky the Mississippi is still taking it all in stride though flooded many the harbors.
Anyhow some tedious work on the steel cuts and with some good ideas I ordered some 4" casters with 1/2"thread stem type mounting, so then had to get some small triangle pieces sheared to weld on the bottoms. I drilled a few and got bored so went to the grass forest a cut the yard as the mower has a cup holder. Over 100 on thee ole wet bulb here and as they use to say drink up, and get your #%& workin.
So back to drillin, Good day

Darren Henry

QuoteOver 100 on thee ole wet bulb here

Too hot for this old Canuck !! they're calling for 75 and humid here. It's already 59 with 89% humidity.I'm not sure what that would be with the humidex or wet bulb as you call it. I guess all the snow birds opened their suitcases and let Florida out.

Hope the rain lets up. Floods suck. Both the Assiniboine (runs right through Brandon, here) and the Souris (runs through a couple of medium sized towns south of here) have flooded in 2011&2013 from run off at melting, and about this time last year from a week of heavy rain. The poor farmers have had a rough go. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!