Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 12:57:00 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Stapeling Coaming Bolsters

Started by drem312, April 25, 2011, 02:44:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

drem312

would like a few tips on stapling the marine vinyl on the wood for these,,the board is 6 inches wide by 72 inches  3/4 thick  , never did it before so few tips would be great like do I spray the foam with an adheiseive first  to keep it on the board before i wrap the vinyl over it?  do I cut the foam bigger than the width? where do i start  the stapleing in the middle then work out to the ends? how far do I space the staples? on the corners if I cut the wood can i get a round corner or will i have to fold them over? not much out there on this stuff thanks  

MinUph

Cut the wood the shape needed. Rounded corners if needed. Cut the foam 1" larger which will leave you 1/2" all around. If the vinyl is boxed cut this to shape with a 1/2" seam allowance. If it is a tight (no boxing) make it large enough to grab onto. You can glue the foam down if you feel the need. A few spots is all that is needed just so its stays in place for you. Start front center and tack (staple loose) rear center same and then side centers. Go back to the front center and work the vinyl with you left hand and staple it. Go to the ends of the front and with you left hand stretch the vinyl tight and staple. Same on the rear and sides. This will work out the stretch. The go back and work it from centers out stapling every couple inches or so. Don't be afraid to take staples out to redo them. You left hand will be the tool to help stretch the vinyl. If you make it tight enough the corner folds will be minimal.
Be careful not to overstretch the vinyl. There is a point where it will not recover itself. Use stainless staples.
  If this is a boxed piece I taper my end seam in to take up some of the vinyl. Makes is tight when you put it on. Remember vinyl stretches on direction more that the other usually up the goods.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

the corners have to be right there so I staple the corner. First  not wanti g to streach the vinyl and have to much material when I get to the corner and if it's heat pleated vinyl it's easy to streach.   If it's not a box piece I don't just stearxh it at the ends I'll make a fitted end peces for each end. Like a boxing
   Also I make a pipeing and staple it on the top and ends of the coaming pad and staple it on the edge of the back this hide the gap
between the boat and pad when installed.