Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 10:01:20 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Solar fix thread

Started by gscmarine, January 23, 2014, 03:46:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gscmarine

Hi all,
I have been using Tenara thread on and off for some time now, and want to start using PTFE thread exclusively on all my new jobs. What are peoples opinion between Tenara and Solarfix? I have to do a lot of machine adjustments (Highlead GC0618-1SC walking foot) with tenara. Just curious which one sews better. Thanks.
Geoff

Mike

January 23, 2014, 04:13:11 am #1 Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:14:00 am by Mike
my machines (singer and juki )  run fine with no adjustment with the solarfix!

Mojo

Geoff:

I sew exclusively with Solarfix. You will find that the twist on Solarfix is different then Tenara making it much easier to sew with.

I put a little less tension on the Solarfix ( 2000 ) then I do poly 138. It seems to like a little more bottom tension for some reason or another.

Your going to find Solarfix is MUCH easier to sew with then Tenara. If you run into problems let me know. I have a very good handle on Solarfix since I am burning through alot of spools of the stuff every year. If I do not have an answer I can put you in touch with Michael from Solarfix. he has been a great resource for me.

I am always teasing MiamiMike about the cost every time I order Solarfix. I have already ordered
3 spools from him this year and its only January. Yikes...... I forgot how many spools I went through last year but it was alot. :(

Chris

babock

January 23, 2014, 12:13:43 pm #3 Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:14:34 pm by babock
I have never used Tenara or Solarfix. If I switched over from polyester V92, is it the Solarfix 2000 that I need to get? What size needle?

Does trivantage carry it?

raindodger

+1 to what everyone else has said here...

Solarfix is the way to go. I tried Tenara once and had a lot of problems, it was a constant battle to keep it sewing.  Solarfix hasn't given me any problems.

gscmarine

Thanks for the info, I will try it. Is the 2000 size equivalent to 138 polyester?

Mojo

Yes, the 2000 is equal to 138. You can go with 2200 but your going to get alot less on the spool and it is over kill.

If your using v92 then I would go with 2000 as well. It is about the same size as v92 but has the strength of 138.

Chris

bobbin

Great info., Mojo.  Thanks. 

babock

January 24, 2014, 04:53:19 pm #8 Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:53:44 pm by babock
Size 18 needle ok for the 2000 with Sunbrella?

gscmarine

Thanks for all the info. Just ordered a sample spool.

Mojo

Yes, a size 18 needle will work with 2000 on sunbrella or what have you. I typically use a size 18 on Sattler and Recacril daily with 2000.

Chris