Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 02:47:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Snowfall Yet?

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, November 15, 2014, 09:19:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on November 16, 2014, 07:10:14 pm
............ I would be living in Hawaii. I've met a lot of folks in Hawaii who moved there and had to turn their beautiful homes into B&Bs to help pay the bills.
We have some friends who moved to Hawaii. The wife was a special ed. teacher. She was offered a 2 year contract in Hawaii at more than twice her normal salary. The husband found a job there that also paid much better than he was used to making here.

So they thought they would essentially make some extra money for taking a 2 year vacation in Hawaii.............It didn't work out that way.

The cost of living there was so high, all they could afford for housing was a run down shack amongst the native villagers. They decided to just make the best of it, and for 2 years, they basically lived like tribesmen.

Those 2 years ended up being the happiest years of their lives. No pressure to "Keep up with the Joneses".  Materialistic things weren't important. They had food and shelter, and little else.

If you ask them now, they refer to that little village in Hawaii as their "home town". 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

A friend of mine, who to say he's a "free spirit" would be an understatement, moved to Hawaii.   Long story short, he bought two shipping containers to move himself to New Zealand, stopped in HI for a few weeks to sort out immigration and stayed.   He bought an overgrown coffee plantation on the west side of the mountains.   He lived out of his containers for two years because, "It rains every d@mmed afternoon" and that slowed his home construction.   He also said a lot of the people he met would not have everyone in the family leave their property at the same time because of the crime there.   Go figure.  Ever do any internet shopping and see "prices higher in Alaska and Hawaii?"     I believe it as almost everything has to be shipped in.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

No snow in Brandon yet although we had had a couple of flakes. There is snow on the ground east of here about an hour and I've heard they got some north of here around Riding Mountain national park. Again about an hours drive. But cold!!! Holy crud. Minus 10  c right now. I think I heard the radio say 18 F. (I've got to start flipping my thermometer over to F before I post on these threads LOL)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Darren C just sounds too dang cold anyway -10C :(

I got on the internet mid nineties and started looking at the mls's in florida. saw I could sell my house a by a netter place for 1/2 the money   and I can work all year   no brainer

Darren Henry

Your right Mike. I just flipped my thermometer and 13.5 F does feel alot warmer than -10.3 C.

Quotestarted looking at the mls's in florida

What is an mls ?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

QuoteI've got to start flipping my thermometer over to F before I post on these threads
Darren, just keep reporting in C without the "C" and we'll all have more pity for you.  :)

One conspiracy that I buy into is that I believe the primary reason the US of A did not switch to metric including C is that there has and is a big political movement to dumb down our citizens and this switching would not be in the best interest of this endeavor.

3" of snow yesterday and a high of 23 F today here in SW Ohio. (That's -5 C for those counting.)

I've thrown snowballs on top of Mauna Kia - the Big Island of Hawaii. Drive down the mountain in your 4 wheel drive rental, through the lava fields, and to the beach where it's  80 degrees. Not a big issue for those of you who live in the mountain states. But for me here in Hamilton County where the highest elevation point is Rumke Dump, that was a pretty unique experience.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Rainy and windy yesterday. Forecast today is lower 50's and 23* tonight. That's coooold in north central Florida.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

That kind of low in Florida does get your attention!

Doyle

Mike

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 18, 2014, 04:24:57 am
Your right Mike. I just flipped my thermometer and 13.5 F does feel alot warmer than -10.3 C.

Quotestarted looking at the mls's in florida

What is an mls ?

Real esate listing darren one year i went to a easter seals snowmobile event i got up the last day of the ride and i had to go for a spin even though it was -20f.
Whats that in C freeze your butt off ?

Mojo

Gene:

I will admit I miss certain parts of the winter. I was an avid rabbit hunter and can remember going out hunting after a fresh snow. I would walk the fence rows and then end up walking into the woods, sit down and lean against a tree and just veg. The woods would be silent and it was some of the peaceful times I have had in my life.

I remember going out to the barn to feed the animals on a winter morning when my Ex and I had the farm. I can still see the breath coming out of the horses nostrils. I would feed the goats, cattle and horses and would sit inside the barn and Veg with the animals. For some reason listening to the cattle and horses breath and hearing nothing else was calming.

Spring was my favorite time of year in Michigan and I enjoyed the fall colors ( till the frigging leaves started falling and I had to rake them up ). The fall is when we took the kids to the cider mill for fresh cider and plain donuts.

So many good memories up there in Michigan but to be honest my body can no longer handle the cold.

Chris

Mojo

A funny story.

My wife spent most of her life living on the Northern beaches of Sydney, Australia. She seen a dusting up in the Snowy Mountains in Victoria but that was it. When we got married we were living in Michigan. The first good snow I was going out to shovel and my wife said " OMG, how beautiful. Let me go out and shovel ". Of course I said have at it and nearly broke my leg getting her the shovel. By the time winter was over she was cussing the snow just as if she was born in Michigan.

In regards to expensive, Australia is out of this world costly as compared to the USA. Real estate prices are insane and everything else costs a fortune from clothes to cars to gas. Even shoes are outrageous. My wife was shocked at the prices here in the States when she first came over. When I retired I agreed to move to Australia but she refused. In her words " we could never live the lifestyle in Oz like we do here so lets stay in the USA. "

The last I checked Sydney was # 2 on the list for the most expensive city in the world, right behind Tokyo.

Chris

Darren Henry

November 19, 2014, 03:56:21 pm #26 Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:05:01 pm by Darren Henry
Quote--- it was -20f.

And anything else you didn't plug in LOL. Forty below = minus forty, so somewhere around -30 C. Never mind "don't lick the bumper/flagpole etc"... if there is any wind chill at all with that, do not even pee near one!!! We get an average of 7-14 days of that and less down here over the winter. Up north; that's nothing. Bully for them---I want no part of -65 with the windchill, thank you very much! I'd also have a hard time with an Oz winter. After that heat they could send my corpse and my teeth back in the same "cup" my dentures came in.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE BEATING BUFFALO HAS BEEN HANDED?!  Holy experlative; 6 feet already and another 1-2 expected before the system moves out [shocked] . Bear in mind that that is the wet heavy lake affect snow off the great lakes. By the time they dug down to June or me (both a titch short of 6 ft.)   they would have probably displaced our body weight in snow.

Mike

I saw a photo chris posted on FB 72" on the newyord parkway wow   oh btw chris when I retire it will not be like you lol

JuneC

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 19, 2014, 03:56:21 pm
Quote--- it was -20f.

By the time they dug down to June or me (both a titch short of 6 ft.)   they would have probably displaced our body weight in snow.

Darren, do they make snorkels that long?  I'd need one about 16 inches.  Still it's crazy what those poor people are dealing with.  I can't even imagine.  I've only seen snow once in my life when I was in Detroit for a business trip (industry show) back in the 1990's.  It was amazing!... just a light sprinkling. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Virgs Sew n Sew

I saw pictures of Buffalo last night.  Absolutely crazy.  Like 5+ feet of snow on the top of cars.  Will that much heavy snow cause hardtops to buckle?

Much of our snow has melted.  We expect to be in the upper 40's/lower 50's Sat/Sun.  So goes life in Nebraska.

Virginia