Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 07:05:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Vehicle for delivery, and just in general.

Started by cajunpedaler, November 07, 2014, 04:14:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunpedaler

I've been driving a Honda Odyssey for nearly 10 years.  Someone totaled the first one from the rear and I got another one.  It's been a great vehicle for everything.  Take the middle seats out, and today I got large 8 foot sofas in it.  I can get 4 x 8 sheets of plywood in side, and close the door.  I can put 10' rebar down the passenger side.  And I can get 12' crown moulding or baseboard, by running it down the middle and over the dash where it meets the windshield.  But alas, my old girl is getting up in years...She's got 225,000 miles on her and although runs great, there are surprises now..I'm willing to repair mechanical issues and keep her running tip top for another two years, but really want to downsize.  Maybe in a couple of years, I want to downsize the upholstery business too.  I'm thinking seriously of going into a Honda Fit..I had one many years ago, as a 2nd car, and it was great..42 mpg.  Sold it, and the van became the everything vehicle. 
What vehicles do you drive for your upholstery business? Does having a small car or SUV impact customers saying yes or no to job, if they have to provide their own pick up and delivery.  (I really like delivering furniture, as seeing the customer's face is a huge pay off for me) 
I used to drive a 1981 Honda Civic and could get a Lazy Boy in it easily, in two pieces..
My husband will always have a truck. Gas is so darn expensive, and in a couple of years, I really want a vehicle that gets really good mpg's.
What do you guys and gals do?
Perry
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

MinUph

I run around in a Prius and deliver in a GMC cargo van.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

mike802

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

JuneC

I'm driving a 12 year old Toyota 4Runner and I still love it.  Crazy reliable.  I do love my old car.  But I don't do furniture, I do marine so the pieces are mostly smaller than sofas and recliners.  I can get a 4x8 sheet of Starboard in there but no way can I close the tail end.  Use bungees and surface streets - no highways with that stuff loaded.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

byhammerandhand

I think you need to ask yourself some questions:
- How much of your work is pick up and delivery
- How much are you driving around doing errands, estimates, small jobs, onsite work, etc?  Time and miles.
- Can you use your husband's truck on those occasions you need to do pick up & delivery
- How much do you need to haul around on a regular basis (your work tool and materials set)
- What is the size requirement for items you're picking up and delivering?  Are multiple trips feasible or too much time on the road?
- Will you be using the vehicle for other things (hobbies, hauling around the family, etc.)
- Is rental an option?
- Is a delivery service an option (yes, I know it's expensive)?

Over the last 15 years, I've had (not all for work, but all have been hauling)
- A compact (Toyota Matrix)
- Minivan (Odyssey)
- Full-sized cargo van (E150)
- Compact pick up  (Ranger) with cap
- Full sized pick up (Silverado) with cap
- 5x8 cargo trailer

All work, all have pros and cons.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

I traded a dodge grand caravan for my current car I really liked the van and will buy another I loved the sto n go deats that folded under the floor., I once picked up a 200 hp outboard motor in the van with the seats tucked away

Virgs Sew n Sew

I have an HHR panel truck.  Comes as a two seater.  Where the back seats would be in a standard HHR is folded over (no seats) flat level with the standard cargo area.  Side back doors have no exterior handles and no windows.  Open with the remote.

Anyway, that is a great cargo area.  We've used it to haul dirt, gardening purchases, flooring and more.  I can easily put multiple rolls of upholstery, rolls of foam, etc in the cargo area.  I think I was able to squeeze 3 restaurant booths in the back, the two bows for a 1912 EMF (that was very tight), seats, a rocking chair and more.  I'm sure there are other large projects that I've hauled in the HHR as well.  It's a great vehicle, very reliable and I'm well pleased with it.  Because of how GM handled the steering wheel recall I'm not sure how I'll replace it when the time comes, but fact of the matter is that all car makers are doing the same thing so I'll buy whatever seems right at the time.  Mine is an '09 and my last 3 vehicles I've driven for at least 10 years before they were replaced so I have lots of time to figure that out.

Virginia

SteveA

Like you I'm downsizing and bigger work I've been contracting out to delivery service.  The knees, back, and shoulders are just not what they once were.  I have a jeep and a ford 250 van.  I'm going to sell both and get a Tahoe - it's got enough room and has the 4 wheel drive I need here in NY for the winters. 
If you don't need 4 wheel drive - I like the Chrysler caravan - comes with out seats for tradesmen -

SA

gene

I drive an old Pontiac Transport. I can get sofas and 4'x8' sheets inside.

Once or twice a year I rent a Uhaul truck for a big sofa or big job that needs picked up in one trip. I don't need a cargo van.

Before my Pontiac I had a Chev Lumina minivan.

I'm going to be buying a new (old) Chrylser Town and Country.

Not being able to pick up and deliver would hurt some of my business. I charge much less than what professional movers charge.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!