Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 09:05:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Whistle While you Work or Not?

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, November 07, 2014, 06:19:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I'm generally always listening to music: car, walks, treadmill, work and generally serenade Bob while I'm showering.  But I once worked with a woman who would lose her concentration if the phone wasn't answered on the first ring and God help you if you sneezed while she was trying to concentrate. 

Having said that, do y'all like your shop quiet while you are working or are you listening to your favorite tunes?  If you appreciate music, what is your genre?

I'm into classic rock but was taught by my father to appreciate Big Band and musical soundtracks (Oklahoma, Music Man, etc.).  I'm not a C/W fan but do love Willie/Waylon/the Outlaws and really dig Shania Twain.  Have zero appreciation for rap or hispanic music.

sofadoc

In the mornings, I listen to sportstalk radio. By 10 AM, I turn on a TV and leave the sound down low for the rest of the day. My daughter works nearby, and eats lunch with me everyday. During the lunch hour, we watch Family Feud. Then I flip it to CNN for a while. I like CNN better because they don't just show the same news clips on a continuous loop every 15 minutes. In the afternoons, I turn it to a rerun station (Father Knows Best, Dennis The Menace, etc.). The TV is mounted at the opposite end of my cutting table, so I can pay half-attention to it while I sew.

When customers come in, I turn it off while I'm talking to them. And sometimes after they leave, I forget to turn it back on.

I never could get used to listening to music (while I work). It's either too loud or too low, or a song that I'm sick of hearing, and I don't have time to keep fiddling with it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Being a musician and growing up with parents who loved all kinds of music I am an avid music listener.

I always have the stereo playing in the shop. Always. One morning it maybe Motown and the afternoon it may be top 40 music or blues. Evenings ( if am working late ) it maybe big band or soul / R & B and yes I also listen to opera. ( My two favorites are the Phantom and La Traviata ).

I have over 1,200 songs on my ipod and my wife has over 3,000 songs on her phone and then I have a huge collection of CD's. My wife is a very accomplished musician ( guitar, piano, sax, clarinet, mandolin, violin, fiddle and bass ). She is amazing on all of them and I get to listen to her when she is in our studio playing.

Now here is the kicker and I know someone is going to say " no wonder you get bogged down in orders ".  I have an acoustic guitar hanging in my shop as well as two blues harps in two popular keys. Sometimes a song will come on the stereo and I will pick up the guitar or a harp and play along. After the song I go back to work. Sometimes I just take a break and sit down with the guitar and play and unwind. :)

I could not imagine life without music.

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mojo on November 07, 2014, 08:21:57 am

Now here is the kicker and I know someone is going to say " no wonder you get bogged down in orders ".  I have an acoustic guitar hanging in my shop as well as two blues harps in two popular keys. Sometimes a song will come on the stereo and I will pick up the guitar or a harp and play along. After the song I go back to work. Sometimes I just take a break and sit down with the guitar and play and unwind. :)

Chris

LOL!  I don't play (other than the occasional air guitar or air drums) while I'm in the shop, but I've definitely stopped working on more than one occasion to move with the music when the mood hits me.

I don't listen to the radio in the shop.  I have that little off-white Bose system (radio or cd) and purchased the Bose iPOD player that is one of the accessories for the system.  I have an old iPOD given as a Christmas present from the owner of a spiney web site years ago when I was a mod on that site.  Bob loaded it with my favorites right  before we went to Omaha for my fusion surgery and I walked, walked, walked while listening to that thing.   So I listen to the CD's in random order from my old iPOD.  When we first got our cd player, I went a little crazy buying cd's.  We have at least 800.  I've often told people that I play a better variety in the house than most radio stations.  Every once in a while I get sick of the iPOD tunes so I go into the store room and rustle around for a cd I haven't heard for quite a while.  Bob is a technology freak and we bought a pc simply to load our tunes on.  He has spent quite a bit of time developing different play lists off the cd's.

All four of us kids were required by our parents to learn to play a musical instrument.  My brothers all played the trumpet and I played violin for 5 years.  My instruction was always mad at me as once I got to Jr. High I didn't practice as much as I should have but was still able to maintain first chair.  He knew that I was capable of more.  Finally quit because I got tired of lugging that case around 3 days a week.  Do kind of regret that but life goes on.

Virginia

Mike

my I phone has led zep, queen . beatles  kinks to jimmy buffett john mayer buddy guy very varied   if im repetitive like grommet I like muxic but if I really need to think like sewing a condole cover puzzle I turn it down off to concentrate on what im doing

Mike

November 07, 2014, 02:29:36 pm #5 Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:31:54 pm by Mike
Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on November 07, 2014, 09:15:40 am
Quote from: Mojo on November 07, 2014, 08:21:57 am

Now here is the kicker and I know someone is going to say " no wonder you get bogged down in orders ".  I have an acoustic guitar hanging in my shop as well as two blues harps in two popular keys. Sometimes a song will come on the stereo and I will pick up the guitar or a harp and play along. After the song I go back to work. Sometimes I just take a break and sit down with the guitar and play and unwind. :)

Chris

LOL!  I don't play (other than the occasional air guitar or air drums) while I'm in the shop, but I've definitely stopped working on more than one occasion to move with the music when the mood hits me.

years ago a good friend used to hang out at my canvas/ bait shop and he would take care of bait customers to help me out. well one day he was down at my canvas end and I had ac sc plating and he was really getting into a air giuitar riff when he turn arounf and there was a lady looking at him in the bait shop I was outside the door and he goese hey mike you want to help this lady.  I used to sing making up my own words and many time sure enough id turn
around to someone

JuneC

Can't live without my classic rock.  But I love everything from swing to Louis Armstrong, soul, R&B, reggae - everything but rap (yeah, it has rhythm but no melody) and elevator music because it puts me to sleep.  I can read music and play the piano but only because I was forced to learn as a child.  No real talent in that regard.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

I literally have everything from AC/DC to Zamfir in my personal library with the exception of rap. * Depending on my mood I might toss in an old cassette of dalcimer music or C/W or ???. at work though, I have the radio on to a local station that has talk shows,swap and shop etc... between their Country music but never hear a word of it ---it's just background noise. Grandma always chastised us teenagers for playing our music too load because we were afraid to be alone with our thoughts LOL.

*One of the on air personnel at said radio station is also a working musician. I loved his quote---"rap is to music what etch-a-scetch is to art"
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 08, 2014, 04:49:05 am
*One of the on air personnel at said radio station is also a working musician. I loved his quote---"rap is to music what etch-a-scetch is to art"

In the early '80's, one of our favorite bumper stickers read as follows:

"Listen to disco ... put 5 musicians out of work"

Virginia

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 08, 2014, 04:49:05 am
I loved his quote---"rap is to music what etch-a-scetch is to art"

ox-y-mo-ron 
[ok-si-mawr-on, -mohr-]     
Word Origin
noun, plural oxymora    [ok-si-mawr-uh, -mohr-uh]   (Show IPA), oxymorons. Rhetoric   

a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in "cruel kindness" or "to make haste slowly." OR: "Rap music"

Virgs Sew n Sew

I'm amazed at how we pretty much all seem to agree that "rap is crap"  : )

I do not have any disco cd's but readily agree that the late Donna Summer had a fabulous set of pipes and always listen to her tunes if I'm listening to Sirius sounds of the 70's in my car.  I also have a fondness for the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack with the exception of a few tunes on it.  Again, not in our collection but if I hear the beegees and most of the other songs from that movie, I'll not turn to a different station.  I get all reminiscent when I hear that soundtrack I think but loved the early BeeGees. 

Virginia

gene

Quote"rap is to music what etch-a-scetch is to art"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/etch-a-sketch-anniversary_n_3581395.html

Quoteeverything but rap (yeah, it has rhythm but no melody) and elevator music because it puts me to sleep.

I listen to the elevator music: New Age, Ambient, all instrumental, with a healthy mixture of electric guitar to keep me aware. (Santana, Walter Trout, Atkins, BB King, Thompson, Beck, Vaughn, etc.

I love it when I start to mellow on Enya or Yanni and then Eric Clapton wakes me up.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: gene on November 08, 2014, 07:09:14 am

I love it when I start to mellow on Enya or Yanni and then Eric Clapton wakes me up.

gene

Are you old enough to remember the "Clapton Is God" thing.  My ex had a t-shirt with that imprinted on it.  I thought his dad was going to backhand him when he walked into his parents house wearing it.  ; )  In retrospect, it might have been a good thing if his dad had backhanded him.  LOL.

Virginia

sofadoc

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on November 08, 2014, 07:00:18 am
I'm amazed at how we pretty much all seem to agree that "rap is crap"  : )
Well naturally. What do you expect from a bunch of white people?

A black friend of mine says that blacks really don't even like Rap. They only invented it to get back at white people for Country & Western.

SteveA

I bounce around but usually it's Mark Simone early, then Heraldo - followed by Curtis + Kuby - Mark Levin, Hannity or Dr. Savage -  and for music  - the weekend when no talk radio is available it's oldies.
SA