Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 07:48:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Happy Hallloween!

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, October 31, 2014, 09:02:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Ah yes, my favorite non-religious Holiday of the year!

Loved treat or treating when I was little and now I absolutely adore seeing the kiddos come to the door all dressed up, especially the little ones when you can tell it is their first time trick or treating.

Just got back from the store and bought 3 huge super duper size variety sacks of candy -- even buying that much, I put some of the good stuff away for our great niece and great nephew.  The first year my great niece trick or treated, by the time her parents got her over here we had run out so I gave her 4 quarters and that was her favorite "treat".  We live on a busy intersection and there are lots of kids around.  We generally don't sit down for at least 2 hours.  It's going to be cold tonight so we might not have our usual showing.

Do any of you dress up for the day?  If so, what?

I have a witches hat that I will put on before I start answering the door.  I used to dress up as a vampire complete with white make-up on my face but I haven't found my costume since we moved.  I'm thinking Bob pitched it when we were "minimizing" for the move.  So it goes!

Virginia

bobbin

Didn't dress up.  Didn't decorate the house at all.  But the 3 front windows of my shop (with window boxes) are the perfect place for jack o' lanterns...

I wanted to hang a dummy from the lifting arm that allows us to raise items to a 3rd. storey in the barn.  But was vetoed because it might look too much like a suicide... UM, yeah! it's Hallowe'en for chrissakes!  Isn't the point to scare the daylights of people??

Next year I'll not be so passive. 

Mike

my last house we had hundreds of kids I dodnt know it till after I moved there 10 years ago
I would wear a franky rubbder head mask , I had a whitvhy ghost hanging from a tree assorted holoween decoation and smoke and a strobe light nside the house entrance windows. very spooky to little kids my brother would sit real still with a huge troll head on like a statue then " aRHHHS!"  it was fun id run out of canty at first. and get tired of going to the door after 2 hours.  but at my current house I don't get one kid. they all drive to other streets im at the end ot the neighborhood.   when I was a kid in caliifornia wed meave the house on foot cover 4-5 street west then go home get a new paper bag and cover the other side east 5 street over,  when dod the parent start driving them door to door? I guese when they staterted driving them to school rather then walking or walking to the buss even

Darren Henry

I like seeing all the costumes---especially the wee ones,but never get a chance. My apartment is on the back side of the house and kids don't go down the lanes. I did see two young girls in costume waiting for the bus on the way to work and one waitress when I delivered a couple of booth seats late morning . I didn't even see any trick or threaters while I was working on my truck on the side street last night. It's DIW with starter issues---which is why it was the van that got side swiped in a hit and run thursday evening while I was calling on someone across town.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Weird Halloween!

Our great niece/nephew were our first visitors.  They came early -- I'm sure Mom & Dad wanted to get this done early so they could enjoy the evening.  We had almost an hour with only one little boy coming during that time.  I was starting to get worried as Bob & I do not need three sacks of sugar hanging around.  Then the flood gates opened and we had probably 90 minutes with little sitting down.  Have maybe a dozen pieces of candy left -- not bad at all.

Favorite outfit was a little girl -- maybe three.  Just an adorable alligator costume.  Her hair was this mass of curls.  When her older brother said "Trick or Treat" she just started giggling which made me just totally crack up.  I got on my haunches to make my deposit into her pumpkin.  When I started dropping the candy in, she started giggling again and so I gave her an extra treat just for being so darn cute, than gave her brother an extra as well.  Have no idea what his costume was.  She was just too adorable for words. 

I think all of ours from that point on were driven around.  I was pleased to see the parents standing on the sidewalks a distance away but close enough. 

I don't think we had as many as usual -- it was just miserably cold last night.  No rain or snow but cold and windy.  I'm sure that kept some away, probably the early ones which tend to be parents with the really young ones.  Less kids walking door to door.  Almost entirely driven around and that was due to the cold conditions.

Only 364 days left until Halloween 2015!

Virginia

gene

November 01, 2014, 06:31:27 am #5 Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:39:58 am by gene
QuoteAh yes, my favorite non-religious Holiday of the year!

A lot of folks would disagree with you, Virginia.

Here's Pat Robertson, for one.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKtnPVUnw0c

We didn't have a lot of demonic worshipers, um, children, coming to our door yesterday. It was cold and rainy.

I do enjoy hearing my wife talking to the little kids and commenting on their costumes. Our yellow lab thinks all the kids are coming to the door just to see him.

No one came dressed as the Ebola virus.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JuneC

I don't get it...  When I moved to my current home 15 years ago with an 11 year-old daughter, I assumed since it was a family neighborhood that there'd be LOTS of trick-or-treat'ers.   Only a few that first year.  In the years since, I could count all of them on one hand.  15 years, lots of kids around, no one comes to the door, in spite decorations and lots of outdoor lights for safety.  Go figure.  I don't bother buying candy anymore.  Just a few miles north of me a friend has 100-150 plus come to the door.  ??

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: gene on November 01, 2014, 06:31:27 am

Here's Pat Robertson, for one.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKtnPVUnw0c

We didn't have a lot of demonic worshipers, um, children, coming to our door yesterday. It was cold and rainy.

gene

LOL, fortunately for me, I don't care one whit what venomous remarks Pat Robertson spews out concerning Halloween or anything else.

Virginia

Mike

When i was about 8 in california my dad made me a pumkin siut out of  hkin wire and a orange. Loth my mom made me a green hat like the stem. I had a ja kolanter painted on the cront a d had a light i side. All the houses rVed over me. Thing was i went with a girl up the streeti was sweet on. She was dresses as cinderella. And was upset she didnt get my attention lol.

Mike

Quote from: JuneC on November 01, 2014, 07:11:08 pm
I don't get it...  When I moved to my current home 15 years ago with an 11 year-old daughter, I assumed since it was a family neighborhood that there'd be LOTS of trick-or-treat'ers.   Only a few that first year.  In the years since, I could count all of them on one hand.  15 years, lots of kids around, no one comes to the door, in spite decorations and lots of outdoor lights for safety.  Go figure.  I don't bother buying candy anymore.  Just a few miles north of me a friend has 100-150 plus come to the door.  ??

June

June my last house was in a deed resticked neighborhood of a few swuare miles. Larent drove them to the area where alot walked door to door. Some would come on open trailer like a hayride decorated for the kids then walk the busy streets.  But like you my new place no ody in 5 years i wen t up the. Road and they were doing the same lots of kids.

Virgs Sew n Sew

My dad dressed me as a clown one year, complete with wig, grease paint, big red nose and floppy shoes.  I also had worn it to a party earlier and won first prize for best costume.  Best costume I ever had as a child.

When Bob and I first got married, we would have costume parties on Halloween.  First year, when I was still young and skinny, I bought the largest child's Garfield costume and was barely able to fit in it.  I was a smoker then and somewhere I have a picture of me wearing the face mask with a cigarette stuffed through the little hole in the mouth that you are supposed to be able to talk through.

I always talked a hostess into having a masquerade Tupperware party when I sold the stuff.  Rules were that you had to wear a costume that started with your first name.  That is why I used to have the vampire costume.  Those were my favorite Tupperware parties to demo.  I would always take the vampire teeth out to do the demo though as it was just way too hard to enunciate and with them in no one had a clue what I was saying. ; )

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteThat is why I used to have the vampire costume

Okay,sure.  ;) we'll go with that ----'til Bob and I go fishing and the stories start LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 04, 2014, 04:20:06 am
Okay,sure.  ;) we'll go with that ----'til Bob and I go fishing and the stories start LOL.

Man, I would never be able to hold my head up.  He would probably start with the chocolate cake making escapade (first time he met me).  That one is pretty funny so I'll tell on myself.  I know I've fessed up to being a former foster child.  Well, my now in-laws were my foster parents.  He was safely off stationed in Naples Italy and married to his ex-wife when I lived with them.  Liz's brother was killed in a car accident so Bob & Liz flew home for the funeral.  Mom had me mixing a chocolate cake while she was making a grocery list for another foster daughter to get.  Bob & Liz came in the back door.  I turned to see who was coming in and the mixing bowl and the mixer came with me.  The bowl hit the floor (plastic, fortunately) and the chocolate cake batter in the mixing blades started flying everywhere.  I absolutely froze and could not figure out how to shut the dang mixer off.  Batter is still flying everywhere so finally I bent over and put the mixer back into the bowl, picked up the bowl and put it on the counter and then finally found the shut off switch on the mixer.  I turned and looked at Bob & Liz and he had this incredulous look on his face, like if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes he wouldn't have believed it.  He yelled at Mom to come and see what I had just done and added "You just will not believe it."  Mom added a new cake mix to Lucy's grocery list and she and I each grabbed a dish rag and cleaned up the mess.  8 years later, Bob & I got married.  Now you understand why Bob does the cooking. ; )

Virginia

Mojo

We moved to this home in 09. We have never had one trick or treater here.....ever. Notta.

But in their defense we live on a dead end road, just a couple homes, very secluded, dark, wooded...... I can understand. It is one of the most safe areas in the county but dang is it secluded ( which I love ).

Hell I wouldn't trick or treat with kids on my road either. :)

Chris