Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 11:32:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

ford bucket seats with plastic hold downs

Started by sharethewealth, October 25, 2014, 04:17:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sharethewealth

October 25, 2014, 04:17:21 pm Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:51:03 pm by sharethewealth
Hey folks!  First time in a long time I have logged on in many years as I got away from upholstery.  I'm on my 3rd upholstery job and the first time doing a car.  I have a 77 Mustang 2 here and I'm working on the bucket seats.   I went to sew the plastic clips back on to the new covers I made and my thread keeps breaking of as it tries to go through the plastic. I have a singer 111w153. I'm  using 92 thread and Schmetz 120/19 needle. I'm sure it is a needle/thread combination issue.  I just do not know what to use.

Thanks!
Tim

JuneC

Sounds to me like the needle is too small.  If you were sewing only fabric a 19 needle would be fine.  But I'm betting the needle leaves the hole in the plastic a bit sharp and that's causing the thread to shred and snap.  The smaller size of the hole aggravates the problem.  Also, if your thread is old, it doesn't have the tensile strength of a new spool.  Make sure your thread is fresh.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sharethewealth

Thanks for the reply June!
The spool of thread is new,  what size needle would I need?

Thanks ,
Tim

JuneC

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields