Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 06:54:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

First solo project

Started by Eaglewis, August 05, 2012, 01:18:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Eaglewis

http://s1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj559/Eaglewis/

Hoping this works. A before and after of my first wingback.

Comments please.

Wade

Eaglewis

I guess it's actually an after then before.

Mojo

Looks great. :) Congrats.

Chris

gene

August 05, 2012, 06:00:52 am #3 Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:02:00 am by gene
On the 'before' they did a good job of centering the big pattern repeat. They did not match the boxing on the cushion. That would have taken another repeat, but that's the first thing that caught my eye.

The 'after' chair looks great.

Three things I would have done differently:

1. I would have matched the boxing on the seat cushion cover.

2. The seat cushion is a bit long for that chair. I would have cut down the foam to not hang over the seat. It is a bit long on the 'before' so I can see where you just matched the old cushion.

3. And if this were my first chair, I would have had at least 4 paragraphs of bragging on this forum. You did a nice job.

I also love the wooden stretchers on the feet. That's a chair that's worth reupholstering.

Thanks for the pics.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Looks good Eagle.

If you are planing on doing this professionally I would suggest buying a steamer. This will turn a good looking job into a great looking job. Just two little things a steamer could have fixed are puckers in the panels (happens all the time) and if you steam the foam and replace the Dacron before you stuff the cushion it it will help fill it out better. If the steamer doesn't help then the foam needs to be replaced.

Other wise I think you did a good job and a wing chair is not the easiest piece to upholster.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

The following are comments, not criticisms, because overall, the chair looks great.

#1 The cushion may be hanging off the front a little too much. It looks like the original cushion was slightly curved along the front edge, and you squared it off on the new one. I could be totally wrong (it might just be camera angle).
#2 Is there a row of welt cord along the bottom of the frame? (might be another camera angle thing).

If I were your customer, neither of the 2 "comments" that I listed would be dealbreakers.
Again, if that is your first solo, you're already light years ahead of where I was at that point.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Eaglewis

Thank you all for being so kind. The longer I look at this the more I see what you all are looking at. There is a welt cord along the bottom. Although, I went by how the chair was previously covered and it only went from the front legs around to the back legs. The seat cushion is a bit rough. Not only does it stick out a bit (not as bad as the pics, but it sticks out) it's also pretty tight from side to side. I did use the old cushion for the pattern and in hindsight I should have just made a new pattern. That mistake WILL NOT happen again. A steamer it's actually my next piece of equipment to purchase. Again I used the old cushion and wrapped it in 2 layers of dacron (the customer did not want to pay for new foam). I did deliver the chair today and she was pleased with the outcome. I really appreciate the comments and have another wingback waiting. I actually have a few projects lined up in the next month or so and will post them as they get done.

Thanks again, really,
Wade