Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:04:08 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Made In The Shade

Started by jojo, June 23, 2013, 06:49:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

June 26, 2013, 05:08:25 am #15 Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:39:05 am by byhammerandhand
After I wrote my last post, I realized this is nothing new.   I had a lot of bad teachers back when I was going to school in the '50s and '60s.  I think I peaked about 5th grade and slowly went down from there.  It also seemed all my kids also had at least one bad teacher every year.   All of my worst teachers were social studies teachers who had the same first name -- Coach.

http://www.pleacher.com/mp/mhumor/mthjokes.html

Oh, wait, what was the topic here????
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scottymc

June 26, 2013, 02:27:11 pm #16 Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:32:37 pm by scottymc

http://file:///C:/Users/User/Dropbox/2012-12-24%2017.00.09.jpg

I did this a little while ago, make sure those anchor points are good, I flunked maths we just did it by eye.

momto3fatdogs

Quote from: Mojo on June 23, 2013, 07:36:04 pm
Good gawd. That is alot of education. Maybe if I didn't major in cheerleaders, gym and lunch I would have made it to med school. :)

Chris

I am woefully behind in the EDUCATION department. But one time , at work, a dude I worked with asked me stupid questions all day everyday. Mostly about potty training his kid, or how you're suppossed to fold fitted sheets...but mostly medical stuff. One day when he asked me YET another stupid question I told him that I SLEPT THRU MOST OF MEDICAL school. He had the brains to say "Oh WOW Ms. Sam! You're seriously over qualified for this job!" Um, yah, I guess.......

Dede

Here are a few more shots of Coolaroo shades, as referenced in jojo's post:

Larger images here:  www.coolaroousa.com/view-product.do?product_id=799870399696.

I started first grade in 1970, right in the middle of the New Math era.  I'm pretty sure even the teacher didn't understand it.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

byhammerandhand

Another spectacular failure of that period, right along with "open classrooms."

When I was in grad school, I taught freshman calculus.  I was just enough older I missed the "new math" and on a couple of occasions had to ask what they meant by a term they just used.  "We don't say, 'Minus five,'  we say, 'The opposite of five.'"

Quote from: Dede on June 26, 2013, 09:48:46 pm
I started first grade in 1970, right in the middle of the New Math era.  I'm pretty sure even the teacher didn't understand it.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

BIL is a math Ph.D..  Now working toward his Computer Science Ph.D.  Electrician.  Was the senior diesel guy on a very posh yacht for a few years, too, until he got sick of cruising the Caribbean (lol).  All around very, very funny guy, too.  We call him "the perfesser".  Not much "dead wood" on the helpmeet's side of the family.  :)  (or mine).

Plenty of crappy teachers out there.  "Those who can't do, teach, and those who can't teach, manage".   The worst one I ever had was a biology "teacher"... stood in front of the class and reread the material he'd assigned as homework the day before! LOSER; you have to love tenure.  We dissected exactly 3 things that year.  Tell me... how do you learn biology if you never get to take something apart??  2 of the best I ever had were Math teachers; one was a woman (1973!) who told the after-school tutorial group (all girls) that most of the boys in the class needed to be there, too.  Also that she'd been the only female in many of her college classes and wanted us to know that Math was fun, interesting, and applicable in so many fields.  To this day I LOVE geometry, in fact, it was geometry that made algebra easier for me!  The other teacher was a 1950s kinda guy... very strict, homework every night, go to the board and solve equations kinda guy.  I struggled so with factoring... all alone at the board, brain cramp, sweaty palms... kids snickering.  "Class, be quiet, please.  Remember that I know your weaknesses and if you persist in laughing I'll make sure you have your turn on the wheel.  Miss blah-blah, take a deep breath and try to relax.  I'll help you, but you have to listen and tell me as soon as you don't understand something.  We have to work together."  He was a wonderful teacher, had a million different ways to approach concepts but  no patience for those who wouldn't try or "do the work".