Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 06:16:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

upholstery books

Started by tapissier, December 03, 2008, 09:14:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tapissier

I have been quite surprised to find such a lack of info on literature patterning to the upholstery trade, your bookstore does not carry the essentials and the important books one would need to understand  what this trade is all about...at any rate here's my contribution to you all before I retire from this forum. I'm including French trade Books, language should not be an issue for these books are full of step by step pictures and should be able to guide you in your endeavor to better yourself.

Evidently, one who aspire to become a professional upholsterer should have an understanding of furniture styles and periods, visit museums and take note of the evolution of upholstery throughout centuries. The eye should be trained as well as the hand, and visual references are essential to this trade. If a bare frame comes to you you need to visualize its volumes and forms.

Here is the reading list I suggest to my students:

Practical Upholstering/Frederic Palmer/Stein & Day/ISBN0-8128-6170-1

Modern Furniture Upholstering(1923)/John W.Stevenson/Potterton Books.

Fabric magic/Melanie Paine/Pantheon books.ISBN 0-394-55713-1

Upholstery Techniques and projects/David James/Guild of Master Craftman Publication/ISBN 0-946819-41-6

Upholstery, a complete course/David James/Guild of Master Craftsman Publication/ISBN 0946 81919x

All about upholstering/John Bergen/Hawthorn-Dutton/ISBN 0-8015-0169-5

The Art of Hand Tufting/Don Zitur/Nordel Graphic Communications

The Complete Upholsterer/Carole Thomerson/Knopf/ISBN 0-679-72599-7

Upholstering Home Furniture/Blanche Romick Pope/Manual Art Press

The History of Furniture/several authors, intro by Sir Francis Watson/McDonald & Co/ISBN 0-7481-0244-2

Understanding textiles/Tortora/McMillan/ISBN 0-02-421195-8

Textiles/Kadolph, Langford,Holen,Saddler/McMillan/ISBN 0-02-361601-6

The Gentleman & Cabinet-maker's directory/Thomas Chippendale/Dover/ISBN 0-486-21601-2

The Cabinet-maker & Upholsterer's guide/George Hepplewhite/Dover/ISBN 0-486-22183-0

The Cabinet-maker & Upholsterer's drawing book/Thomas Sheraton/Dover/ISBN 0-486-22255-1

Traditional Upholstery in Europe & America/Ned Cooke/MFA Boston

L'encyclopedie Diderot et D'alembert/Inter-Livres/ISBN 2-905-388-536

Tapisserie D'Ameublement/Claude Ossut/Potterton

Le Siege et sa Garniture/Claude Ossut/Potterton

La Tapisserie et la Decoration, Les Sieges/Marpillat, Jodeau/Potterton

Table of Styles, French Furniture in History/Bertrand/Potterton

jock36

hi

i have read a few of the books you mention, they are invaluable & helped me to better understand upholstery...

im sure these books will go down well...... thanx

chris
To make a rich person work harder.. pay them more. To make a poor person work harder pay them less....

gene

Thanks for the chuckle. I had a long day today. I appreciate your sense of humor.
gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

ziturGrandson

Tapissier, it's an honor to see you reference my grandfather's book, The Art of Hand Tufting by Don Zitur Sr.  I'd also like to let the site's visitors know that the book is still available directly from the author at his website, http://artcraftmn.com  Dolly Don and I thank you all for your support.

hidebound

I have read some of these books, I found them from an earlier post of yours, either here or another forum. These books have given me very valuable insight as I have a very limited experience in my uncles shop 25 years ago. I helped me to understand the why of what we were doing then. I would to thank you for the post.