Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 11:17:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Peppy's Baton Bimini

Started by Peppy, April 23, 2011, 04:45:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppy

April 23, 2011, 04:45:12 pm Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:51:15 pm by Peppy
I just pulled it out of the shed today (probably a month premature) and thought I'd show it off a bit. I was originally designing this to be the tent part of a bicycle tent trailer. The batons were to unzip and form the body of the trailer. Didn't get that far. Got stuck on the bimini part.

This was the 'proof of concept'. I made it with tent poles instead of batons. I had probably thought about this for more than a year so it was nice to see it worked. So then instead of designing a trailer under it I bought a boat.

This illustrated the only real advantage to this style vs regular tube framework; this bimini works in many configurations on many different beam boats.

So here was the finished bimini and boat.

Here's how it works-

here is a baton (1 1/2" x 8') wraped in sunbrella with a zipper sewn in with 2 deck mounts riveted to it.

straps come from the deck mount and from the tip of the bimini from a D ring.

A flat piece of cloth with with zippers form the body of the bimini. This zips to the batons, the shape of the zippered ends creates the structure.

The other advantage to this system. It folds into a line. No big U.

here it is stowed.

Here's a close up of the deckmount attached to the baton.

Side view. The black straps pull the bimini front to back like a normal tube bimini. The white rope make it curve and give it diagonal strength. In winds it does get pushed around but these white ropes gove it 'spring' and so it fights back a little against the wind.

But really, all this talk about why this rig is any good is just to justify all the time I've spent thinking about this to my self. And the real reason I built it is that no one else has one. And it's got stripes.   

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Peppy

Here's some more views.

Thanks for letting me show off. (like you had a choice!) Any questions? I'd like to know what you think!

hdflame

Peppy,

That's pretty cool.  I'm guessing the first couple of pics, when it was white, was your pattern stage?  I like your fitted boat cover too.  I've been watching your seats and interior as it progressed.  Nice overall job.  I know you can't wait for warm weather!

It's nice to think about something, design and pattern it, then watch it come to a successful completion.  I've been working on a slip over seat cover for a Ural motorcycle that I will be selling.  It has a gel insert and is held on by shock cord.

I'm on my third cover, each time changing the pattern to make it fit better.  I'll be glad when I can get my pattern right the first time! ;D  I think the third time was the charm.  Part of the changes I made were after it was sewed together.  I hope I can change my patterns without taking it apart.....again! :o

There are some others out there, but they just don't look that nice.  I want this one to look like a more finished and fitted cover. 

Keep the pictures coming!

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

dmayo

You say your using baton (1 1/2" x 8') where do you get them
Thanks Darrell

Peppy

Thanks Bobby! The white one was the prototype. Just to be sure the concept worked. And ya, always thinking, never stopping...

dmayo- I ordered them at a marina store. It's actually two 4' pieces with a SS bracket they fit into. They weren't really cheap. I would have preferred 8' ers but they were getting covered anyway. I remember seeing some in a catalogue recently....Trivantage?

dmayo

thanks but way nice tops, there really different 8) 8)
i'm in Winnipeg i wonder if Jackson's might have something
Darrell

JuneC

Trivantage has them (they call them "bow slats") for about $15 for an 8' piece.  But, in Canada, the shipping might be a problem.  I'd look for them at any local sail loft.  Any untapered sail batten would work if you get the correct dimension.  For instance, this company in Massachusetts has them for $1.50 per foot for the 1-5/16" width. 

http://www.bete-fleming.com/battens.html

Google "sail batten" for a local supplier.

BTW, Peppy, I love the idea.  Especially the fold-up/put-away ease of straight poles.  Pretty kool stuff there.

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields