Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 08:59:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rietveld "Crate Chair"

Started by byhammerandhand, May 18, 2015, 01:33:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

I saw this the other night on Antiques Roadshow.   After I got over the shock of appraised value, I was intrigued by this chair.  Trying to find the plans, I was equally shocked for what a current copy costs.   I think I need to get out some pallets and drywall screws.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/201006A45.html

- Have any of you ever seen or worked on one?
- Are they at all comfortable?
- Anyone aware of dimensioned plans anywhere?

I worked on one of the "Red and Blue" chairs a la Rietveld a few years ago, but pretty sure it was a knock-off.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

Not sure if I appreciate the appraisal value.  It can't be comfortable, compared to a more conventional chair.

On first impression, it looks strong as iron, but it could be improved with a front and back - side to side rung - compatible with the overall style.

Can anyone explain the appraisal?

Doyle

SteveA

I would have upholstered it and gave it away as a child's chair - Kidding -
Value and quality vs who made it and were they famous - old story -
The Picasso that sold for 179 million could have been painted by many apprentice artists
SA

gene

QuoteCan anyone explain the appraisal?

My guess is that either the appraiser thinks he can get that much for it, or he's scamming to create interest where there is none,  or at some point in time someone paid that much for it

Buy a chair for 4 grand and donate it to some non profit and take a 10 grand tax deduction (appreciation).

Here's his other items he has appraised on the Roadshow:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appraisers/john-sollo/appraisals

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Back in the day when Henry Ford was still alive, the Ford Motor Company had very specific requirements for the wooden crates that their vendors shipped parts to them in.

The reason was because they broke the crates apart and used the slats as floorboards in the cars they built.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Quotethey broke the crates apart and used the slats as floorboards in the cars they built.

With us they become out buildings. The "tin" for RV's comes in a very solid crate that leaves us 4xlength of 2X6 and a bunch of OSB. Once we pull the 5 pounds of staples out the wood gets stored until there is enough for another shed and the techs have no work. If we get much hail this summer I'm going to ask for another addition on the upholstery shop LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!