Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:00:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Favorite tools?

Started by byhammerandhand, March 27, 2015, 08:31:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Time to (re-)run a poll on what is your favorite tool(s).

This is one of my most-used tools doing repairs.   The handy kit contains metric and SAE sockets, SAE hex (Allen) wrenches (I added a set of metric), Torx, Phillips, slotted, and Robertson screw drivers.   Takes standard 1/4" drive so any third party drivers easily added.  Lots of torque for tight connectors.   Fast insertion and removal (especially with Allen head connectors).  Great for fitting in tight spaces where you'd otherwise need a stubby screwdriver (that are sometimes even too long).   Great for arthritic hands.

A deal for $17 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85035-35-MicroDriver-Set/dp/B0062FSAVI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427470176&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=35+pc+mcrodriver

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

March 27, 2015, 09:42:43 am #1 Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:11:00 am by sofadoc
This is my favorite. I actually have 3 of them. They're really cheap at places like Harbor Freight and Northern. I keep a set of adapters with all different bits handy to snap on when I need them.

I can disassemble a La-Z-Boy in under 4 minutes. I love being able to go from forward to reverse with the flick of my thumb.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Hand Tools -  it's  clamps - one of my favorite tasks is figuring out how to clamp odd shaped pieces together

Portable Power Tools - 7-1/4 circular saw - DeWalt

Stationery power - 14 inch Rockwell band saw from 1958 - weight 400 lbs. all cast

SA

byhammerandhand

Here are some things that I do for odd shapes:

1. I bought some web ratcheting tie downs.  4 for about $20.   Took off the short end by removing a bolt.  Re-sewed the long end back on and now I have a 15' web clamp with ratcheting cinch and 2" wide web.

2. Got a bicycle innertube and cut into a long strip.  Wrap around your odd shape and keep pulling tight as you add additional wraps.

3. Packing tape.  Stretch over the joint and fasten down

4. Made some cauls of scrap plywood about 3" and 8" long.   Put a 45 degree block on one end and a square block on the other.   Clamp one down on each of the two parts and then run a clamp between the end pieces.

Quote from: SteveA on March 27, 2015, 10:50:24 am
Hand Tools -  it's  clamps - one of my favorite tasks is figuring out how to clamp odd shaped pieces together

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

Yes clamps and clamping jigs - I'm all in.  Another easy technique is I use a pin nailer - glue and pin the pieces together and you'll never see the pin hole.  When the glue dries - there's your strength
SA

Darren Henry

Quotenow I have a 15' web clamp with ratcheting cinch and 2" wide web.

With 2" you probably would have to resew like that. I just use one of 1" straps by hooking the two hooks together or hooking the long end onto the ratchet. That way I still have them to tie a load down on the truck.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

Yes, I started off just hooking the two metal ends together, but worried that it might damage the wood one day.   I left the hook on the long end of the web, so I can with a wrench or two, reverse the configuration and use as a tie-down again.

Quote from: Darren Henry on March 28, 2015, 07:24:49 am
Quotenow I have a 15' web clamp with ratcheting cinch and 2" wide web.

With 2" you probably would have to resew like that. I just use one of 1" straps by hooking the two hooks together or hooking the long end onto the ratchet. That way I still have them to tie a load down on the truck.
Keith

gene

I have a hammer sort of like this one.

I seem to use it on every project that comes up. The guy down the sidewalk from my shop put a new hickory handle on it a few years ago.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-lb-hickory-engineers-hammer-69240.html

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Ah the proverbial "bigger hammer" AKA a  BFH.
Keith

gene

Hit it with a hammer first. If that doesn't fix the problem, then try something else. (Not to be used as a marriage 'rule of thumb' nor when raising a puppy).

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!