Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 09:20:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

recovering seats

Started by sunshine_n_pc, September 13, 2010, 06:57:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine_n_pc

September 13, 2010, 06:57:23 pm Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:46:01 pm by sunshine_n_pc
I've caught the bug.  We bought a boat in May.  The threads in the seats were beginning to rot and some of the seams were splitting.  I figured that I would resew the seams and eventually recover the seats myself.  I had also been dabbling in making some custom fit vinyl car fender covers for Buick Grand Nationals with the idea of moving into other car makes - my little singer was not making the grade.  So, I made the jump and bought a Juki.  

I started on a couple of the boat seats.  My plan was to just resew the splitting seams in order to get by for awhile.  However, once I got the seats apart - had no idea of how they were constructed - I decided that the work in taking them apart didn't go with just "resewing" the seams.   So, still thinking of "go cheap" cause it's gonna look homemade anyway - I bought 10 yards of white marine vinyl with a coupon from JoAnn's and used the needles I already had (didn't know they were size 22 at the time).  I had multiple rolls of black and grey outdoor/poly thread given to me by previous owner of the machine - so I went with the grey.  With some leftover aqua and grey vinyl from recovering waverunner seats, I set out recovering my first seat.

OF COURSE, I picked the absolutely hardest of all the seats to start with - duhhh.  The back of a u-shaped seat.  I then did a couple of the seat bottoms.  I knew I wanted to redo the first seat, but it came out ok enough to at least put back on the boat and use for awhile.

Here's picture of the first 2 cushion's I did - definitely a bad decision on my part to start with the back.  I had no idea of the difficulty I would have in putting the cover back on.   But, it gave me the confidence to want to redo it, knowing I could redo it better.  

Here are pictures of the "jig" we had to build to put the cover back on.   Just about got it right - only a little bit of puckering in a corner - I saved the jig to use when I redo it - just need to make the angle a little smaller.  

So, I have some questions  ;D

1.  Is there a better way to lay out the "jig" or measure the angles?  Not only is the seat curved, but it is also angled.  I just tried to make a pattern of the shape of the boat and marked where the seat attached to the boat - then tried to attach the seat at the same places - it was all very "I hope this works"

2.  Now that I think I can recover the seats and they will look good - I want to upgrade to some decent vinyl and really do a good job.  In reading and reading and reading - I see a lot of people recommending Mobern's Seabrook line.  They have a teal/aqua color that I think will match the colors in the boat - the aqua I used is really too light for matching the boat and I don't have enough to finish.  Is Seabrook a good choice - it's a 10year plus boat - want good vinyl, but don't want to put high dollar finishes in it, either.

3.  I need to redo the bimini top too - it was going to "make it" for awhile, but we "blew it" off the frame last weekend cause the hubby didn't put it down when trailering it.  What would be a good, moderate priced choice for the bimini?  I want to match the teal color in the seats- it doesn't seem like all of the lines carry a variety of colors.  Is there a line that matches the Seabrook better than another?  Can I use the same material for the boat cover (which needs to be redone also).

4.  Looks like most suppliers are charging for the sample cards - how do you match colors?  Can you trust the computer colors?  Should I expect to pay for the sample colors or will suppliers send them to you if you ask?

5.  Lastly- is there anyway to estimate the amount of vinyl I will need without laying it all out?  That would take me forever -  It's a 20' Hurricane - I don't mind having some extras but I don't want double what I need.

Thanks
CeCe

MinUph

CeCe,
  Hard to tell by the pics but it looks good at that size  :-\

As for the jig. I can't see why you would need a jig to put a cover on but whatever works.

If you take the old covers apart carefully with a razor blade you will have the patterns you need. Hard to beat factory patterns. You will find little notches to show you where the pieces line up. Transfer these to the new vinyl and when sewing line these reference marks up.

As for estimating the yardage. It takes allot of experience to do it by looking at it. Best to measure each piece write it down and figure it out. Add some extra to your estimate.

For the colors I doubt a supplier will send the cards for free but it doesn't hurt to ask. Free is generally for good customers that have either been in business or done business with the supplier for awhile. If you want good color matches the computer is OK to start with but order a sample of the color to be sure. Computer monitors are different and not 100% accurate in colors.

Good luck and have fun with the new boat.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sunshine_n_pc

I did the jig because the seat, once removed from the boat, did not retain it's shape - the bottoms did of course, but the backs did not have enough rigid support to maintain the shape. This was the only way that I could figure in order to put the cover back on without getting it too tight and pulling the seams or too loose and making it bunch up.  Am I missing something?

How do I do my pictures so they can get bigger when clicked?  I read the directions - hmmmmm - guess I need to find me a teenager to do it for me.

scarab29

When stapling to that black abs on the seat backs , you'll need some fine wire staples. Been there with the hurricanes. You don't really need a jig for those backs but I'm sure it made it easier to handle. Just measure for your vinyl and add a couple yards for a fudge factor. I figure 10% waste min. You'll just not want to run short a yard or 2 for the 10 or 20 bucks it will cost you.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mojo

CeCe:

Give Miami Mike ( Mike Weunski ) a call - 800.543.0448

Tell him your a member here and explain the project to him. He will help you out with your project and give you some ideas as to what material to use. He may have some close outs as well.

Mike is a great guy to do business with and will work to help you out with any project you may have. Also, since your in Florida then your main shipping warehouse with Miami Corp will be the same as mine which is Jacksonville.

Maybe June will read this and comment. She is awesome with boat seats.

Best of luck,

Chris

sunshine_n_pc

Now ya tell me I don't need a jig - it only took us a whole day to build it  ;D   It did help a lot though, not sure that I could have done it without it. 

I do think that I was using wire staples - stainless - I have an air stapler - didn't have a problem with stapling through the plastic - had a problem with it blowing out the vinyl sometimes - and not accidently stapling myself or anyone near me.  Sometimes it was the air pressure - I wondered, though, if part of it was the JoAnn's vinyl.

MinUph

Yes I've used Joann's vinyl and it isn't very strong. Staples will go through it easily.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

ErryGerry nice cece look like a hurricane deck oat. I hate thoos sweat backs it imposible to make new patterns without a jig o like you did  I'd you don't fit the curve tight enough when you het it I'm the boat it can wrinkle like mad. But for me the worst part is bow the staple stick through the plastic ans rip my finggers up installing the new skin.