Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 08:37:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Should we have our air compressors checked?

Started by kodydog, August 28, 2018, 08:01:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

August 28, 2018, 08:01:31 pm Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:03:29 pm by kodydog
Moving my compressor around today got me thinking. Should these things be checked for the possibility of explosion.

I know with propane tanks, you have 12 years from the manufacture date before the tank must be re-certified with a new date stamped on it.

My air compressor is about 25 years old. It runs like a champ and I drain it about 3 times a year. But I wonder what would happen if it went bad. Would it explode?

Our shop in Mt Pleasant SC was next door to a very old and dilapidated house with 5' tall tanks abandoned in the back yard. Propane I guess. One day when I was working in my back deck I heard a loud pop and swissssh. No explosion but more like a rupture or leak.

Last year I learned a childhood friend was killed in a dive shop accident when a tank exploded. That thought sticks with me.

So now I wonder should these things be checked occasionally. How often and by who? And what do they look for.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Good point Kody.
I'd think in a humid climate like yours, it's better safe than sorry.
Finding a tech though, I don't know.

sofadoc

Most likely, a rupture would occur first. The rupture would relieve pressure, and probably prevent a serious explosion.
But as you say, explosions have happened, and will happen again.

My compressor is on a timer. On at 8:00 AM. Off at 5PM. Mon-Sat. If I come in on Sunday, I have to manually turn it on. My fittings don't hiss. But they aren't completely air tight, because the compressor always bleeds down during the night.

It's probably a good idea to replace the pressure relief valve and the shut-off valve if the compressor is over 10 years old.

My compressor is located in my back store room. I'm separated from it by 75 feet and 2 walls. So I'm not too concerned about the risk of injury.

I drain mine twice a year. We used to have one that had completely rotted through on the bottom. No explosion occurred. Just a mild hiss that developed in to big one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Mine is also over 25 years old.  A few years ago I was concerned for that same issue and I called the retailer who sent over a tech to pressure test it and ck the mechanicals  - cost me
$ 100.00 but was worth it for peace of mind.  I also believe as long as you listen for changes in the sound, ck the pressure relief value every so often - clean the air filter - ck the water for rust - change the oil,  you will be OK .  Before the guy left he filled out an affidavit certifying the compressor as fit and on the doc it says in accordance with the law ?
SA

Darren Henry

Like Dennis said a compressor will rust out an develop a leak that gets worse and worse. I try to drain my compressor weekly to prevent that,

That scuba tank exploding is a freak. They have to be visually inspected annually and hydro tested every 4. The old 72 cu, ft. steel tanks run 2250 PSI, 80 cu/ft aluminum 3000 PSI and the big 106's 3300. If you drop one and break the valve off you will get a rocket not an explosion.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

All the units ive had have a preasure relief vale that blows if the pump dosent shut off

MillerMav

If you stay on top of draining out the moisture and keep up on oiling (in a 2 stage compressor of course) most of them will last a really long time before needing to replace them.  This is for at home use or low use; in an industrial setting where the compressor is running at 80%+ of max all the time then it should be checked by a professional regularly.