Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:15:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Worst Canvas Ever

Started by jojo, April 06, 2013, 10:49:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

April 25, 2013, 07:32:55 am #15 Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:36:14 am by jojo
Ok, here are the pics, although it looks much worse in person. The zippers that joined the sides curtains to the windshield didn't line up and there was horrible buckling on the sides. Also the windshield visibility was almost non-existant. Thinking the used some kind of cheap unpolished clear vinyl...maybe from Joanns?

Here's a top view of the dartless, one-piece bimini. Note the bagginess:

I thought this was pretty clever...the customer made a prop out of pvc fittings for the bimini:

Keep in mind this is one year old canvas.

Grebo

Whoa, that takes some doing.
May be it was really a ebay special & never actually made for that boat.

Or the frame has shrunk.  :D
have fun with that one jojo.

Suzi

fragged8

looks like one of my tops :-)

Mike

April 25, 2013, 03:15:08 pm #18 Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:20:12 pm by Mike
sooo  whats wrong ?

lol         well I start with the top it obviously has to be pulled tight reposining the pockets but with the work to do it I could just pattern and make it from the start with new canvas and bot have holes from where you remove ( time) thw seams. and the visor or flaps as I call it id never make them that wide and have the zipper sewn on what 1" 11/2" down from the seam..
then the windows wow

regalman190

I would start from scratch. The work involved in correcting this would take more time than making new.

I wonder if this was attempted by the owner, or a friend???
Regal Canvas

Highvelocity

WOW...that's some piece,,,,,,,,,,,,of work...lol   The thing is, even if you have never done one before, it begs the question, why wouldn't you look at other jobs to get some ideas or a clue..??  My first bimini was far from perfect but I knew to use some darts because I copied some elses design.

But maybe the guy he hired thought he could re-invent the wheel, then realized he was in over his head with the job and bailed out. 

We all know you don't buy a sewing machine, and have at it without srewing up.  I just made sure I screwed up my own stuff first...hahaha.

Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

jojo

Well, I made new windshield curtains, and when I laid mine over the old ones, each panel of theirs were a full 3" bigger!
There was also an aft curtain that I didn't photograph, which was incredibly baggy...just no darts at all. So I tightened that up too.
The owner was in a hurry to get the boat to NY, and said he could live the the bimini the way it was, with his makeshift prop.
This was not a diy project attempted by the owner; he actually paid a lot of money for this and now is unable to find the guys who did it. I feel really bad for him. He one of the nicest, most trusting people I've met, and that was his downfall.
Tell you what, though, this experience sure made me feel great about the quality of work I do!

regalman190

May 02, 2013, 05:21:48 am #22 Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:22:10 am by regalman190
And your work to make it better will stay with him for a long time, Jojo. I'm sure the next time he needs canvas work, you'll be the one he calls. And he'll refer you to friends too!
Regal Canvas