Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 02:06:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

hot knives

Started by MinUph, August 22, 2017, 02:56:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

So how do all you that use hot knives do it. Do you use a yard stick under the cut, a sheet of something to protect the table? What tricks can you put into words? I just ordered a knife. Tired of all the fraying.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

Yes Paul the aluminum yard sticks I found work great. Just as you thought and also if available I have said many times to myself that the local hvac shop has aluminum. I should say the industrial type shops, I have two shops here locally. These shops have been there for me on many projects through the years.

Good day there
Floyd

Mojo

Paul:

We use hot knives everyday. I installed a 3 inch wide piece of stainless to the edge of the tables to use as a cutting surface. Cleans up real nice and is great for a cutting surface.

If you want to stop at the shop I can see what I have around that you can use to cut on.

Mojo

brmax

Good idea on that stainless Chris 
Its seems a small square say a foot or bit bigger would be good when Im cutting holes in the canvas for vents and such. 
Along with another strip for moving around the table could be handy, say 1 each for the typical measures.  I just say that because 60" or wider canvas but you all know not everything comes 36" and it is a pain to move as ya get to the other table side. Chris the 3" wide can be a great benefit with the choices, good tip!. I did find some short rules in aluminum from an art supply that have a rubber or neoprene on the bottom, and recessed back from edge slightly. These really stick and are handy both hot knife and rotary.  Blicks place westward, having the 12 and 18" works for me on small work these really kick.

Now ya got me thinking, have a good day all
Floyd

http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-aluminum-non-slip-rulers/

MinUph

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I'll pick up a section of Formica to have on the table to cut on. Got the knife today. Had it on for a second and touched it. Man it gets hit fast LOL.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Paul:

I found a piece of 4 inch stainless that is about 8 ft long. If you want it come and get it.

We have tried everything to cut on and found that this stainless is the best. It attaches to the edge of the table. We have them on all of our tables. I tried aluminum but it seemed to be a heat sink.
The stainless holds up well too and is easy to clean because the hot knife will melt the acrylic and can stain the surface and then gets wiped onto the next piece of fabric you out down.

One other hint. Use a fan to blow the fumes away from your face.

Mojo

MinUph

Hey Chris. Thanks for the offer. I will give you a call when I can stop by and take you up on the offer. Thank you.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

In all the Sailrite videos on YT, they use a stainless yardstick.