Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 07:50:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

To Mike and other canvas people

Started by MinUph, April 05, 2014, 04:02:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

April 05, 2014, 04:02:46 pm Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:44:29 pm by MinUph
I just made new covers for the seating of our Pontoon. Nice red Surlast. I have a green Sunbrella top and were thinking about changing it also. I would consider trying it myself but it isn't all that simple and wonder if I had it done by someone if it would come out right. This is the story.

2 Biminis. One main and one rear section. zipper together. These tops are used all the time. And these are the only ones I may want to replace.

Side curtains, another front top, a rear drop and a front clear drop all attach to the existing tops with zippers.

In other words a full camper.

So there are many zippers next to each other and I doubt I am good enough at canvas work to do all this and have it work.

Do you guys think it would be doable to make this change and leave the rest of the camper parts as is but still usable.

Or should we just live with the green tops? The red covers are only there when were not. But the color looks so good with the red fence I did last year.

Thanks.

I just had a brain storm. DUH....

I don't need the 2 tops made with all the zippers. I can just have new ones made, keep the green set for the camper and I'm all set. Sometimes the old brain just doesn't computer quickly LOL.

Now to think out doing this myself. I wonder if I can and make it nice and tight.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

Trying to make a new top to fit old side curtains etc... is a bear. I would certainly keep the two sections of the new top zippered as apposed to sewn together. It will be much easier to deploy/store and if you ever have a problem you will have a much easier project to resew.This also gives you the option to run with either or.

QuoteI can just have new ones made, keep the green set for the camper and I'm all set

What is your plan for changing back and forth? You could make a second set of bows---but IMHO, you'd be better off to use the same framework ($$$$). If you make the inside edge of your pockets zippered or velcro-ed you can change canvas without even taking the frame down. I make all my tops that way---usually with velcro " ;)" 'cause you can sneak a little to hide a wrinkle with velcro LOL

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

My existing tops are zippered to the frame. I would go this route again as it is easy to remove and re install. I have not thought about using Velcro. I will have to think about that. And yes two tops need to be done again as we open the back one and wrap it up when we want more sun on the sundeck.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

if I follow you haqve 3 top the main op is on the rear half ot a pontoon and a forward top covering the front half
as you said "
2 Biminis. One main and one rear section. zipper together. These tops are used all the time"  then another front top . like Darren said it a pia to make a top that works pcorrectly with side windows.  getting the proper hight and  position of the zipper for the windows.   question is do you really use the enclosure? camping or just cold days ?  you could try using the old tops if they fit well as a pattern to pattern for enclosure zippers  or what I have done is install the window best I can with them zipped to gether and snapped on at the nottom the I clamp then to the frames holding them up and have then pulled patterning plasic over the frames and mark the sides and zipper positions.   but not botterhing with the enclosure if a heack of a lot easier.   do you have a place on the water paul you said you installed a red fence?

brmax

I would like to ask you, if looking around the existing top is there a type of flap 2-3" where the lower sides and or the front and rear sections are zipped together "underneath" this piece. I am just curious if any material can be used with the zippers that are there, of course I would ask you if they work good. I also like the zipper pocket and any strength velcro for pockets I have purchased 3m high strength velcro you might think a dozer is needed to separate it, but I don't think that type is needed. I am interested in how you tackle this and it sounds like a heck of a pontoon, good day guys

MinUph

Mike, The fence is on the pontoon. The rails around the deck is called a fence. I will probably go with just making a new set of tops. The two we use all the time. Mid Bimini and rear section.
You can see what I mean here.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D01FAA90B6A9DF28%21119

brmax, Yes there are 2" flaps where the tops zipper together. But as I said above to Mike I will keep the old ones and make two new ones out of red.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

April 07, 2014, 08:08:19 am #6 Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:09:06 am by Mike
Fyi  paul thT link wornt open

Mojo

It opened OK for me but I have a MS ONE account. You have to have that account in order to view
pictures and such from there.

Chris

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website