Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:47:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Another Dumb Idea

Started by Mojo, January 03, 2013, 04:21:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Alot of my buddies I run with are airline pilots. Most fly for the major airlines but one flies jets for a charter outfit hauling University sports teams around. His company just acquired a small airline and he went in to inspect some of their equipment at another hangar.

Parked among the jets and hidden away in a corner was the equipment from the former companies upholstery shop. He seen it and contacted me right away. Now I am negotiating with his company to buy everything. Two machines ( types unknown ) and a couple pallet loads of rolls of leather and other fabric for aircraft. Carpet, rubber aisle and step runners and lots of other material. Plus hand tools and other upholstery supplies.

They are supposed to get me a list, I can make them an offer and if acceptable then I will fly up ( Midwest ), rent a truck and bring it all back. I get these dumb ideas now and then and why I am doing this is beyond me. But if they sell everything to me for pennies on the dollar then I can make some cash turning it over. The leather and materials will be of no benefit to aircraft owners as the paperwork is missing. But the fabric can be used for other applications outside the airplane industry that does not require certification paperwork.

Will keep you posted.

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteThe leather and materials will be of no benefit to aircraft owners as the paperwork is missing. But the fabric can be used for other applications outside the airplane industry

Just a second friend;You'd have to check with the pros down there like our Oklahoma whirlwind (K-like bckc --arren) or Gale who work in this stuff , but up here there are two classes to register your aircraft in. Even if I got the nomenclature right it's apt to be different in the states , but here it is based on if the plane is registered as "experimental" (most home builts/etc...) or "federal" .I don't know the difference other than some we needed papers, some not.

The other thing to ask as you e-view the goods  is are there still any tags on the rolls?You may be able to replace the paper work if you can contact the vendor  ;)

QuoteAlot of my buddies I run with are airline pilots

Any of them fly cargo to/from the mid west  8)? I'm sure you have of "the old boy's net" . I used to get more accomplished in the Sargeant's mess over A.M coffee than the rest of the day typing request and proposals.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I will do some checking on that Darren. I know that the FAA are real jerks though and adamant on correct paperwork.

None fly cargo dang it. All fly cattle ( passengers ). One of my buddies is a retired 747 Captain who flew jumbos for Air Canada. He topped out on age and retired and hides out on Vancouver island. I love talking to him to see what his latest venture is. he has machinery shipped in and goes and plays in the dirt. ( backhoes, excavators, etc. ). The man is nuts about anything with an engine.

One of very close buddies I stay in touch with ( sometimes daily ) flew 767's for Delta. He also is nuts about equipment and loves moving dirt and brush around on his property followed by drinking high priced scotch. Another buddy, a retired 767 jock for AA now spends his time racing vintage cars in CA. The other two are still flying, one charter and the other for Continental. In their spare time they love working on cars.

Needless to say I cannot get any of them interested in running my machines......lol... :o
The jerks anyways.  ;D

Chris

Jim101

Not such a dumb idea really.

I wound up with four industrial sewing machines by following a lead on Craigslist.

2 Singer 31-15's, 1 Singer 211xxxx double needle machine and 1 Singer 111w153 all for $15.00 a piece.

You never know what will come your way and sometimes it's something really cool.

Jim

Mojo

As an update I got pictures of the machines and fabric. I contacted Bob Kovar about the machines which were all Union Specials. Two were sergers and one a walking foot and all three were covered in a white dust which looked like plaster dust.

Bob said the Union Specials are rock solid machines but are getting hard to find parts for. The pictures of the fabric and materials revealed more carpet and scrim then leather. I seen only a few small rolls of leather.

So I passed on the whole deal. Damn glad they sent me pictures. I would have hated to have gone through the time and expense of getting there to find it was not worth it. When it sounds to good to be true it normally is. :)

Chris