Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 12:03:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Who repairs your sewing machine?

Started by Rich, September 18, 2011, 07:16:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Many years ago, I had a sewing machine repair guy repair and adjust my Singer 111w and later, my Juki LU563 machines. But due more to the down time than the cost, (I'd either have to wait for a repair person to come to the shop, or bring it to a repair shop and then wait for them to get to it) I began to read up on machine adjustments and started doing them myself. Come to think of it, I remember attending a Juki one day workshop where basic repairs and adjustments were taught. Although doing the work myself meant taking time away from my regular shop work, I was able to get the machine back in service in hours rather than days and that meant being able to produce work with it sooner. These days, I feel pretty confident about making most repairs and adjustments on both my Juki's (LU563 and 1508n) so that if something stops working I can get it back in service that day, or if it's just acting up, I can postpone the adjustment until a day when I have more time.
How about you? Has neccesity forced you to learn a side skill like me? Or are you fortunate to have an expert who gets the job done for you when you need it?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sofadoc

I feel confident enough to time my machines. But I really can't remember the last time that I had to.
I recently needed an adjustment that I didn't feel confident in doing. I found a guy that came to my shop from 75 miles away. He made the adjustment. It took him over an hour. He charged me $125, which included his mileage.
I thought that price was more than reasonable. Most places charge more than that if you bring it in. The guy is pretty old, and since I've only needed a serviceman 3 times in the last 25 or 30 years, he probably won't be around the next time I need him (but then, I may not be around either).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I do all my own repairs but I have to be fair and say that Bob Kovar has spent a lot of time teaching me about machines.
I have gotten in way over my head before and with his help got my machine back up and running and fixed. I have learned a great deal about machines from Bob and I am very appreciative.

I am pretty confidant in doing all my own work now.  I have always enjoyed working on engines, machines, etc.

Chris

scottymc

I live 200 km's from the city so I've had to teach myself, learnt a bit off the place I get parts from. i like working on them, all my machines are basic there easy to figure out.

mike802

I have always fixed my own machines.   Sometimes it took a lot of time to figure out what was wrong, but I eventually would figure it out.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mike8560

I can  change   out a part like a needlebAr. But when it comes to timeing and cine adjustment I've got a shop in Naples madsens sewing that has a guy come in and work on  industilris.    He always vets it done asap and I have a spare machine in the meantime   

Jim101

I do my own. 

The Navy taught me how to do it many years ago in Lakehurst, New Jersey at Parachute Rigger School.

Some of my neighbors know that I can fix sewing machines and occasionally they'll bring there's over for me to look at.

I can't tell you how times I've found that they somehow managed to get the needle jammed into the sewing hook.  I pull the needle out and it's good as new until they bring it to me the next time.

Jim

Mike8560

Looks like you could have a side job Jim

Jim101

Mike,

I've thought about doing the repair / rebuild work on sewing machines but it seems I have my hands full these days as is.

Its harvest time around here and the growers need tarps for they're hay, ect... before it starts to rot and the "End O' Summer" canvas repair work is in full swing. 

Life is good!

Jim

fragged8

hiya

I fix mine when they need it, it often takes me ages but saves time in the long run,

Rich