Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 01:06:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Recliner Problems Continue.......but......

Started by baileyuph, December 02, 2012, 05:48:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

A few things are coming to a head, the recent surge in problems has drawn focus on the latching systems - specifically why they won't stay latched and we are starting to gain reasons for this. 

Some background.  Typically, to rectify this problem with latches, we were being provided with the mechanism repair kit.  I say repair kit because still parts of the old mechanism were reused, parts that looked ok and seemed to not be contributing to the problem.  Out of desperation, we asked one customer to provide, as repair parts, the complete mechanism that would not require reusing parts of the exiting problematic situation.  We did this for two sofa recliners and noted an improvement in latching, more profound feel and sound as it was latched.  Then, the analysis of what were the differences between the latter kit replacement and the typical repair unit?  We noticed that the calibration of latching was different, a slight difference in a complete syncronization (is that a word, lol). 

Now we are looking at what is contributing to this difference, is it deformation that isn't detectable in the hardware being reused or is it purely lack of precision in the transfer and assembly of parts being reused, or both?  We are seeing both.   Nevertheless, a way out of this situation is replace the entire unit.  That approach enables a much tigher latching result.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on December 02, 2012, 05:48:22 am
Nevertheless, a way out of this situation is replace the entire unit.  That approach enables a much tighter latching result.
I agree. But the metals are so soft, that it probably won't be long before it's doing the same thing again. When the mech develops even the teensiest bit of "play", it seemingly only takes a mild gust of wind to send the footrest flying out.

Fortunately (for me), the local furniture stores that I replace mechs for have zero expectations. So they don't blame me when the piece fails again. That's why I insist on a whole new mech. Then I consider myself "off the hook" as far any warranty goes.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

You guys have convinced me that I need to recover my 12 year old recliner (that still works after daily opening/closing) instead of replacing it - which is what I was planning on doing.  I had the impression since it wasn't expensive furniture to begin with that it wasn't worth recovering.  Apparently it is.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

JDUpholstery

I need to find some people with these bad mechanisms...I got 25 (assorted manufacturers) mechanisms in my recent buy-out that I need to use up!