Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:35:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Solving day to day problems.

Started by kodydog, May 22, 2013, 06:32:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Its been awhile since I've worked for someone else and its interesting watching my boss solve day to day problems. 

Last week I was running late for work and couldn't find my keys. My wife and I ride the one hour trip to Gainesville together so I suggested we just use her keys and look for mine later. When I got to work I realized her key chain doesn't have the key to open the shop. Mike, the shop helper, is usually waiting for me and when I told him what happened he called the boss. The boss laughed and said he would be there in about 45 mins.

While we waited I told Mike, lets go clean the loading dock. (Always something to do in an upholstery shop). Other people showed up and waited.

Payday the boss collects all the time cards and later calls me to the front desk. One of the employes didn't punch in that day and wrote on the card 8:00, the time I usually come in. I explained to him what happened, and that Mike and I found work to do while everyone else just sat around. The boss decided not to pay for the extra time the employee was locked out.

One other thing, this is a very relaxed atmosphere where I work. Employees come and go pretty much as they please. This employee is a hard worker but usually comes in about 10 mins late every day and the boss always pays her for the missed time.

Question is would you pay her for the time we were locked out?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I guess you could make a case for either side. On one hand, the employee was there and ready to work, but couldn't due to circumstances beyond her control. On the other hand, the boss normally pays her even when she comes in a little late.

I guess this one should be the boss's call.

Reason #4,215 why I don't hire anyone.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban