Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 04:53:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Trapunto

Started by SteveA, May 04, 2015, 11:54:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I looked at this sofa this morning.  The customer has a matching sofa and the cushions were lost.  The account wants to recover the one sofa in a comparable fabric.  The owners don't remember anything about the fabric.  They call it Trapunto - there are raised portions like a quilt ?
The upholsterer I work with hasn't seem many of these high end fabrics nor have I.  Can someone tell me who would carry this kind of fabric - or at least similar ?

sofadoc

I'm not sure where you can buy fabric with the Trapunto technique already sewn in. I thought it was something you have to do yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVbyUq6Nkr4&feature=related
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Trapunto is the technique of using "stuffing" to add dimension to a pattern.  You do this by understuffing a topstitched pattern or by understuffing a particular motif on a printed pattern and tracing the pattern with stitching to add relief.  A lot of work!

If you have any connections with a designer they may be able to direct you to a companies that offer trapunto fabrics. 

wizzard

In many cases the fabric comes that way already.
it was popular some time ago. If it is not too intricate it can be somehow reproduced by an experienced quilter.
You have two problems on your hand
- finding a fabric that somehow works in design/colors with the original material
- creating a Trapunto design on the new fabric 

Your picture of the sofa does not show too much detail, but if I'm not mistaken this is just a more intricate outline quilting/stitching and then upholstered.
Just some advise, before going on a wild goose-chase, find out what the customer has in mind concerning budget. That will answer everything, if it is worthwhile to go through all the challenges with that project in finding what your customer wants.

A challenge like this project is fun to solve, but don't forget you are running a business not a hobby.

SteveA

Thanks for the advice all !   
I didn't realize this fabric was most likely purchased then quilted before going to the upholsterer.  I was looking to find sources for fabric already quilted -  is that possible ?

SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on May 07, 2015, 09:37:48 am
Thanks for the advice all !   
I didn't realize this fabric was most likely purchased then quilted before going to the upholsterer.  I was looking to find sources for fabric already quilted -  is that possible ?
It was a lot more common back in the 80's for suppliers to offer some of their fabrics quilted or unquilted. You don't see that too much anymore. To get a good selection, you're probably going to have to purchase the fabric and then send it to a quilter.

Just to be clear.......we ARE talking about ordinary quilting, and not the Trapunto technique?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

This fabric was quilted and stuffed - must have been a fortune - probably done overseas ? 
I will stay away from this job unless they can pick a fabric from on of the books we have -

Thanks for helping,
SA

wizzard

going back one more time to your fabric. It looks like a chintz fabric. This may be also the reason of doing an outline quilting. It is easier to upholster that way too, has more body. It does look nice, but in today's world not too many jobs are done that way any more.
Fabric reminds me on one of the more expensive but good fabric houses.
I have no idea what fabric book you have but don't stay away from a job like that, but do qualify the customer so it's not a loss and wasted time for you. 

DDandJ

If you know of anyone with a long arm quilting machine they could probably quilt up the customer's choice of fabric.  The challege, I think, would be finding a quilter that would be willing to quilt decorator fabric.  I tried it once with a local quilt shop and the lady wouldn't quilt home dec fabric.  Oklahoma Upholstery Supply in Tulsa will quilt fabric for use in upholstery and bed spreads.  Is the customer willing to pay the extra to have fabric quilted?  If so, let us know how the job turns out.  I like the quilted fabric but have never upholstered with it.

Jeremy

gene

There's a place here in SW Ohio that has done a few quilting jobs for me. They quilted the fabric with a machine and then I used the fabric to recover a chair. This was only the inside back. Heron's.

I also have quilted fabric myself with my sewing machine. I learned it from Merv Knutsin. I put the fabric on top of poly batting and then used black cambric for the backing. I bit of spray glue to hold the cambric to the batting. I then sewed around the flowers and such. I sewed around the perimeter to help handle the panel when it was done.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

Difficult hand crafted work is going away - I'm not surprised that many here do know what it takes to do a complicated job.  I appreciate the advice.
I think of cane work - every time a hand cane job comes in that's not a verified antique - I try to push machine caning -
I guess the realization is that the difficulty is never financially compensated -