Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 07:02:08 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

buttons

Started by bradsdad, May 03, 2015, 04:14:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bradsdad

Hi all, I am new to this site and would like to say "hello", I trained as an upholsterer many years ago and have finally started to get back into my trade, I am considering buying a button machine, which comes with 2 free dies, sizes 22 ( makes 14mm) and 30 (makes 19mm) buttons, my question is are these the most popular sizes that I will need.
Thanks in advance
Rob

SteveA

Welcome - you're good with those - maybe add the 36 at some point - what other start up tools are you considering ?
SA

bradsdad

thanks for replying Steve, I have most of the equipment I need, compressor, staple gun, sewing machine, etc. the reason I was considering a button machine is that I am in the process of recovering a footstool, plus it would certainly be used in the future.

gene

May 03, 2015, 05:17:55 am #3 Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:19:43 am by gene
Nickel, dime, and quarter. I agree with SteveA. Almost all my buttons needs are met with these three sizes.

When I occasionally need a larger button I have bought the snap together kind from Rowleys or even JoAnn Fabrics.

I do have a supplier that has made larger buttons for me when the quantity was big. They probably pull a die out of inventory, make the buttons, and then put the die back on the shelf.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

My first 30 years in the business I only had 22 and 30s. Your good with those sizes. Buy more dies as needed or if you get a great deal on a set.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

Welcome to the board Rob. All I've ever used are 22&30. We had dies for HUGE buttons (#45 I think) and 2" square buttons where I apprenticed. In the 5 years I was there we never used either.

I see you haven't had a chance to fill in your bio yet. It helps us help out if we have an idea of where someone is and if they remember "I love Lucy" etc...No point in my sending you to Canadian Tire if you're in Scotland LOL. When I saw the die sizes listed in metric I wondered if you might be Canadian too.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

bradsdad

thanks for your replies, I will get the two sizes and take it from there, I have tried to fill out some of the bio, so hopefully its worked

sofadoc

Keep checking E-bay for different size dies. The bidding usually gets a little too high, but occasionally a set will go unnoticed and you can pick up a bargain.

When this question comes up, the answer is always the same. 30's and 22's. And I agree. I would even go further to say that it is more important to have multiple TYPES of 30's and 22's before branching out to other sizes. In addition to wire eye button molds, it's nice to have prong molds, tack molds, and snap molds. I've also found that the next most important set of dies is the same 30's and 22's marked "Heavy". They're great for making vinyl, leather, and thick cloth buttons. Regular dies tend to cut vinyl.

I have 22 regular, 22 heavy 30 regular, 30 heavy, and regular 36, 40, 45, and 60. I use size 22 and 30 about 90% of the time. Occasionally, I'll use 36's. And about twice a year, I'll press some large 60's for a round bolster. I almost never use 40's and 45's.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

QuoteNo point in my sending you to Canadian Tire if you're in Scotland LOL.

That is too funny that you would happen to be in Manchester. One of our regulars here , Rich a.k.a Fragged 8, is just down the road from  you (if I remember my grade school geography). He's been quiet lately, but if you look him up in our members list you could drop him a PM and introduce yourself. I'm sure he'd very helpfull with local suppliers etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!