Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 12:13:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Barcelona Chair

Started by Upholstery Clinic, September 03, 2012, 05:36:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Upholstery Clinic

Hello

Has anyone ever sewn cushions for a Barcelona Chair?  I have a customer coming in this week that needs cushions for one of these and I believe she is going to want them sewn in the traditional style in leather.  I have never actually seen cushions of this type, but was looking online at pictures of them.  It would appear that each square is a separate piece with welts criss- crossing each other.  Looks like a nightmare of a sewing job from a labor standpoint.  Any information or advice is appreciated.

Jim

MinUph

I've never sewn one of these but when she brings it in you might find there is no welt cord in the welting just a 1/4" seam to make it look like that. Not so bad then. And when done it looks like welt. The leather stands proud.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Rich

I've done a few for one customer and the seams were plain, so there was no problem folding one piece of leather over and stitching a line. The fact that it is divided like that does make it easier to piece in when a large enough expanse of leather is not available.
I did see photos in Google images where the seams are piped, but they may be done the same way (leather face outside this time) with a piping cord inserted into the seam. I'd have to see the original to determine this, so when you see it you'll probably know. I would think it would get awfully bulky under those buttons if you had to cut individual pieces and add a separate piping strip.
The most difficult part of this job was the fact that the original leather seat cushion support straps were in need of replacement and since they were sewn before installing on the frame, it meant the frame had to be disassembled at one end. The ones I worked on used bolts that were not high quality and some broke, presenting unanticipated extra work. Leave yourself open for this with your estimate if they need to be replaced. An alternative would be as I did later on when I was called back to replace more straps. I pre-made straps that were open ended and closed them with DOT fasteners. Worked just fine and unless the customer is fanatical for originality, could work for you as they are not seen with the cushions in place.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Upholstery Clinic

Thanks for the input so far.  Unfortunately all she has is the framework and no original cushions.  I was looking at the following website

http://www.modernfurnitureclassics.com/index.php/main_page/editorial/title/Title%207

It said the following:

Barcelona Style Replacement Cushions:

"Creating replica Barcelona cushions is a challenge for even the most skilled upholstery experts. There are 16 layers of leather to sew through at each junction point. Therefore, seaming the button-tufted intersecting welts that crisscross each cushion requires patience and precision."

They get $1600 for bottom and back.  Of course she found a place on eBay that does a knock off for less then $200, though she is understandably skeptical of the quality.  My question would be, how does one sew through 16 layers of leather?  Would seem like a lot.

sofadoc

I think that before you go too far. You should really feel the customer out as to what type of job she's willing to pay for.
If she's leaning more towards the $200 E-bay price range, then I would talk her into one with plain seams/no welt, and a "blind tuft" at each intersection.
But if she really wants the high dollar job, then you can further research how to do it.
I've never done one like that, but it sounds like you're going to have to do some serious skivving.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Upholstery Clinic

Sofadoc,

If someone in a factory setting is getting $1600 for the job I can imagine that the amount of work involved is monumental.  I figured a large amount of skivving would be involved.  We will see how much money she is willing to pay, and go from there.

Jim

Rich

Just a side note; If this company is specializing in Barcelona chairs, they obviously do get customers to spend $2,875.00 to completely re-do one chair. With all the talk about how difficult it is to get customers to spend any money, I thinks it's worth noting that some business owners know it can be done if you are dealing with the right customers, doing the right kind of work and selling it properly.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Rich

One other thought: the ad states that "There are 16 layers of leather to sew through at each junction point".
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems more like 10 layers to me.
Anyway, it's still a lot of layers of leather!
Rich

wizzard

"upholstery clinic" you are correct
Each square is a separate piece with welts criss- crossing each other. 
Button is there to hide the criss cross of piping.
It is not so complicated to do with the right sewing machine. This is the whole secret.

I did a similar upholstery job with larger squares and without welting for a headboard .
It did take me a while, but with some advice from a seasoned italian shoe maker
I got the job done.
Don't accept any cheap leather. Best to work with is a full grain leather.

I

gene

Hand sewn, individually stitched and piped, requiring some 26 hours of highly skilled
labor to produce. Breathing vent on the back of the seat cushion)

http://www.modernfurnitureclassics.com/index.php/main_page/product_listing/products_id/31/ProductName/Barcelona_A1_Lounge_Chair/Designer/Lilly_Reich

http://www.modernfurnitureclassics.com/images/modernfc/products/barc_Lg.jpg

The small pic shows what seems to be individual squares. Click to enlarge the pic and you get the above pic that shows clearly that it is not.

These seem to be marketed to businesses which could explain the high price.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

wizzard

Yea a clear knock off of the original.
It looks like that even the side corners on the cushions have seams.
I encountered several of this chairs for re-upholstery.

jack_sparrow

November 09, 2014, 11:17:11 am #11 Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:21:07 am by jack_sparrow
Sewing/repairing barcelona chair cushions is very complicated and might not be worth the hassle. I'd recommend buying replacement barcelona cushions from Emfurn and charging your client a premium. Here's how cushions are made:

To produce well made cushions, it's a very laborious process:
- First, a piece of high density, polyurethane foam is used as the base.
- It's wrapped it in a Dacron sheet (fire retardant) - Measurements of the base cushion is taken to estimate how much leather it will require
- Then the leather is cut into squares for each panel.
- Once the leather is cut to the exact measurements, each square piece is sewn together, then the panel is sewn together. - The piping is then prepared. Once the piping is complete, it is attached directly over each seam mark, to cover the seam.
- Once all of the above is complete, the buttons are sewn onto the cushions.