Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:03:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Murphy's law of upholstery

Started by sofadoc, October 28, 2011, 09:21:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Here's a few (furniture intensive) I'm sure you boat/car guys have some others.

1. Just when you get the fabric situated just right, the staple gun is empty.
2. When you finally sell that sofa that the customer never came back for, they come back for it.
3. When the lady who just can't make up her mind finally selects a pattern, it's discontinued.
4. If you leave the shop for 5 minutes, there's a note on the door from UPS when you return (If you drive around the block looking for him, there will be a note from FedEx as well).
5. If you leave a message with the customer's spouse, secretary, or voicemail..... they never get it (your best chance is if a 5 year old answers the phone).
6. When you call the customer to tell them that their sofa is ready, they just left on vacation.
7. Whichever side of the fabric that you think is the right side, the customer wanted the other side.
8. When you buy a spare tufting needle, you immediately break the first one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Rich

I can tell you've been doing this awhile!
The least frustrating one is probably the last, it could've broken while you were still THINKING you should get a spare!
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

jojo

Right on! Especially number one. But you forgot "starting a line of topstitching on vinyl and running out of bobbin."

Mike8560

Quote from: jojo on October 29, 2011, 08:28:06 pm
Right on! Especially number one. But you forgot "starting a line of topstitching on vinyl and running out of bobbin."
I try to alwayscheck my bobbbin first.
How about you go o er to pattern a boat and the guy went out fishing. 
Or worse sold the boat. 

kodydog

Merphy's law says you will not notice that fabric flaw in the seat cushion till 15 minuets before delivery.

So you take a half hour to fix it but (Merphys Law) on the way to delivery you get behind a little old man doing 10 mph below the speed limit (bless his heart).
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

One time when I first got started I was doing a 36' carver big at the time for the lake   I was almost done down to the last snap when I dropped my one and only snap tool in the drink   I ran in the shop and taped a fish net to a letter changing sign pole and raked the bottom full of rocgs about 12, deep and murky. After about an hour on my last attempt I got it   Then I got some spare tools after.