Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 12:51:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pontoon Carpet Removal?

Started by stitchit, March 02, 2011, 01:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stitchit

I've just been requested by the client I am doing the pontoon upholstery for to do the carpet. Can anyone tell me how you go about charging for this? As well as how you go about doing it? I've been trying to come up with a price, and can't quite get there from here.

I have done one before, and realize it's alot of work. Of course, that was the first one I had ever done. And, it had all the seats to be removed/reinstalled, etc.

In this case, all seats are out, with the only thing remaining being the console, and captains seat pedestal; as well as, of course, the fencing.

I am hoping someone here has done these, and am going to copy/paste this post @ the carrs site as well. I don't have a heated building to do this in, but do have access to a salimander space heater I prefer not to use, ha ha ha. The last one I did I ended up using 3m adhesive remover to get the rubber type "backing" off, and it worked, but not real fast.

Thanks so much in advance,

Chris

Mike8560

ive never done a pontoon but when i rdo a carpet job just sart ripping the caprpet up any left over mees i take a wide blade scrraper to it . any large lumps get them off you dont need it perevtly smothe as the new carpt you wont seee or feel smal amoutne of old glue. as ar as pricing if you need to take the rail off to get the carpet ndernieth as well as the console. just figure you hours it should take  the covsole goig to be a pain with the cable and wire maybe you could just get it loose and slip the carpet under. figure yor time and enought for your carpet. theres your price. ive not had a pontoon owner that would pay to do it . to take the rail off not a chance.

stitchit

Thanks Mike,

Just for clarification, you're saying you wouldn't take the rail off? Or, the customer wouldn't go for the cost to do so?

Mike8560

my customers wouldnt want to pay after all they do have pontoons usualy with little 50hps

TimsTrim

Last one I done was about 16 yrs ago and it was a 24 footer. $2000. The rails and gunwales have to come off.

timtheboatguy

I use a long handle scraper that I bought at Home Depot in the garden department to scrape the old glue and carpet off. Also, I remove all seats and side rails but the helm station I only loosen and then seam the carpet around the cables/wires etc so the helm usually hides most of the seam.

As far as price-  I usually charge between 1000. and 1500. depending on length for carpeting. If it's a wood floor, how is the wood? now would be the time to replace it if needed. You will have to replace some of the screws and bolts typically too.  New wood would add a lot more materials and labor charge of course.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

stitchit

Thanks again for the info guys! What type of carpet is a good quality yet not overkill?

BigJohn

I would replace the deck with 3/4" 7 Ply Marine Fir plywood, and you'll most like using new elevator bolts to  attach it or an option would be self drilling screws. About a 20 oz. carpet is whats most common don't go too heavy or you'll have problems getting the edge trim back on! Whatever you do don't I repeat do not use the cheap green treated plywood as it has lots of voids in it and will flex a lot and not hold up. A search of the net will locate a Pontoon Boat parts supplier near you, expect about $75.00 a sheet for the plywood and maybe $50.00 for bolts.

Big John

stitchit

Thanks big John!

I actually can get akumi mahogany plywood for the same price I can the marine grade plywood. Would one feel it smarter to get mahogany?

BigJohn

I wouldn't think that it would have marine glue,7 ply's, and the strength that Fir does. Also I said 3/4" because that is by far the most popular but a few have used 5/8" and it's very important to get what fits as many have edge trim 'C' channel that goes over the cross stringers and the plywood and it might not fit if you get thicker plywood or carpet.