Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:39:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Repairs

Started by SteveA, January 03, 2014, 10:49:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Does anyone work for movers.  A driver just dropped off this chair and said he tried to repair both back legs but they are not holding.  He broke the arm carrying it into the shop.

MinUph

I've done work for a company that took care of moving damage. These pictures look like a "no thank you" Whoever did that ruined the joints. Never to be good again. Probably done with some sort of glue that is not meant for wood. People should do what they know like move furniture and leave repairs to repair people.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Looks like somebody raided the Gorilla Glue shelf at Wally World.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Yep, I hate the stuff.   It's supposed to OK when properly used, used sparingly, properly clamped, and a well-fitting joint.   Unfortunately, that's usually not the case.   Much better marketing than performance, IMO.   Failed jobs usually doubles or triples the time to do the repair, if possible at all.  But, it stains the fingers, ruins clothes if you get it on them, and has a really short shelf life.

I finished up a moving claim today.   The movers apparently added a few drywall screws to hold things together, the heads were sunk about 1/4" into the wood.   Again, just leave it alone.  There was a little cam on the inside that would have tightened it all up.

Quote from: sofadoc on January 03, 2014, 01:04:56 pm
Looks like somebody raided the Gorilla Glue shelf at Wally World.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

west coast

Thats a not fun job awaiting. I would have sent him on his way with the chair theres no money to be made there.

SteveA

A couple of follow up photos - customer asked if I could keep it under $ 200.00 and could he have it in a week.  I will help the guy he's a small struggling business owner but his repairs are the killer. I cleaned up, doweled, and epoxied one leg last night - this guy won't get a second chance from me if he ever tries to do the repairs himself then come to me.

SteveA

Took out 20 4 penny nails and 4 sheet rock screws - different photos

MinUph

I hate when people do this stuff.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Looks like you are going to make it Steve.

How old is the chair?

Would it still be in production?  We can get parts for wood items sometimes, if the item is still in production.  Or, just order a new item, most is made in Asia and they are cheap.

Doyle

SteveA

The bottom of the chair has a label "Indonesia"  you can see in one photo the seat stripe is worn off - cheap fabric.  This chair was already at the end of its life so the mover thought; "I'll just throw a few nails in it to hold"  then he felt guilty when he looked at it in her house - so the chair came to me.  I'm not going to put a lot of time in this - just enough to make it stable and retouch the antique white paint - not trying to make it a new chair.  I'll be under 3 hours labor total + materials.  He'll also owe me the next time I need something heavy picked up/ but I won't let him have a hammer or nails on the truck.
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on January 04, 2014, 05:55:36 am
....... you can see in one photo the seat stripe is worn off - cheap fabric. 
When I first looked at the original pic, I thought you had laid some piece of fabric over the seat for protection while you worked on the frame.

If the fabric is THAT far gone, I wouldn't waste a single minute on that chair. Even if you restored the wood to mint condition, it's still a worn out chair that was cheap to begin with.

If I were the mover, I'd consider myself MORE than generous if I offered to knock 50 bucks off her bill, and tossed that chair out by the curb.

SteveA

You're not wrong Doc !  But the chair meant something to the lady who owns it - go figure.  It wasn't even worth $ 50.00; but instead of the lady getting the $ 50.00 - I get $ 200.00. She gets her chair back.   The chair is almost done.  I'll post a photo -
The mover is coming to get it on Sunday morning and bringing me another mishap to fix up.  Take the good with the bad I guess - because property taxes + estimates due this month - helps a bit -

SA

SteveA

sofadoc

Well, you certainly can't put a price on sentimental value.
It probably accounts for half our income.

I can't help but wonder. Does the lady really treasure the chair that much, or is she just "bustin' his chops"?

SteveA

You never know with some customers - yes she may have been a tough cookie - I didn't meet her but the mover came to me distressed and was really looking for help.  Well - it's a new year I'll start off easy going with customers and work my way into inflexible by St Pats !
SA