Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 06:16:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Am Seeing a Pattern

Started by Mojo, August 23, 2012, 04:10:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I am starting to see a pattern with business lately.

A year or two ago I was getting phone calls from customers who had triple and quad slide coaches. They would always say " lets just replace all the toppers ". But in the last few months they have started to get selective and are just replacing the one that is bad.

It appears that with cost increases with fuel, food, and other things in the economy that money maybe getting tight for this customer segment. Typically my customers are well educated, come from a higher income bracket, the vast majority are retired and they all are very cautious spenders.

Is anyone else starting to see this trend where their customers are cutting corners ? This has just started in the last two months with me. Before that they were throwing 3 and 4 slide topper orders at me left and right.

Overall business is good and this is the busiest summer I have ever had. But the orders are coming in with reduced dollar totals. Despite it being busy for me my revenue is probably the same as last year.

Anyone else seeing any trends ? Do any of you think that some of this maybe because of the upcoming election and the uncertainty over the future ? I have witnessed a retraction in the economy before when the election is close. Or is this retraction something else ?

Chris

Mike

I saw a change somewhat  in my customers.  I used to se larger flybridge cruisers 40+ but they have stoped this past year and ive been busy with smaller boat  covers primarily. And sept is has been thebslowest month in florida with the
Local dome for the summer kids in school and snowbirds still gone   Ut it dosent look like sept will. Enslow at all and ive had  many more calls the last Week and signed jobs and tha rv i got chriss imdid his 40' boat coves. nd noe have a $1300 sunscreen to make this weekend for him he. Au nit be your typical owner but he seems to have the expendable cash.   Its been a busy summer and still is and if this storm. Low any canvas off ive ot a spot for your rv and bRing your sewing  trailer ;)

Mike

Not a big job but just got snother cover job. Thats 3 in a week when im normally skowing way  down.

JDUpholstery

I have rarely  had more than 1 customer in the shop at any given time, but in last 3 days I have picked up a boat cover, Bimini top and a motor cycle seat, all 3 waiting on materials to arrive to kick them out. I do not do much in way of advertising or looking for work, word of mouth is main way for me, but seems to be getting busier

fragged8

in the uk i've had quite a few jobs, too many in fact.

my boating shop has been slow but it is my first year for that and a bad time to
set up a boating shop but i'v covered the rent .

here too people seem to be cautious and the local boat hire business is down
on numbers. I think people are either paying off debts or building up a fighting
fund for when things get worse.

One thing people are telling me is if you can survive a recession then you'll be in
good shap for when it gets better, whenever that will be ?

Rich

QuoteAnyone else seeing any trends ? Do any of you think that some of this maybe because of the upcoming election and the uncertainty over the future ? I have witnessed a retraction in the economy before when the election is close. Or is this retraction something else ?

I've known any uncertainty like an upcoming presidential election to cause customers to pull back.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!