Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 11:30:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How long to make a cushion zipper?

Started by baileyuph, July 04, 2016, 07:10:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

July 04, 2016, 07:10:33 pm Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:14:32 pm by DB
Dumb question huh?  Make it long enough right?

Well, I just finished a large order of cushions and this "how long" issue went through my mind.  A little thought drove me to make the zippers a little longer than minimum because the cushion filling machine could not be used on this project.

So, the work around was - go with longer zippers because it would reduce the length of time installing the filler in each cover.  It is amazing how much easier it is the fill a cushion with a bigger opening!

Saved significant time, especially for a very large number of cushions.

No credit for being smart, the decision was driven by
past struggles filling cushions with minimum length zippers.

Just a though to pass along.

Doyle

kodydog

July 06, 2016, 04:52:45 pm #1 Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:56:24 pm by kodydog
Generally I allow 3 or four inches on each side but recently we did cushions that when set in the chair could be seen on all four sides. So we sewed the zipper from corner to corner. And we made the top zipper flap so it hung over the bottom zipper flap. To top it off we steamed them flat. It was a struggle to stuff but not impossible. Even the dining chairs in the background have no visible zipper. And the customer was very impressed.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

I usually put 3" or so on each side for furniture seat cushions.

I will put the zip only on the back if the sides are seen like kody pointed out. I use silk film to shrink the cushion insert.

I had seat cushions that were 20" x 20" and the back of the chair only covered about 12" of the back of the cushion. I put a 12" zipper in the back that was hidden by the back of the chair. I used the silk film to shrink the foam insert which was 2" thick with a poly batting and it went rather well. It was a tight fit, though.

When I make my Custom Fit Slip Covers and I put a cover over existing cushions (cushions that keep the existing cover on them), I put the zipper about half way up each side so when the slip cover is dry cleaned in the future, the customer can easily take the slip cover off the cushions and easily put them back on.

Excellent cushion covers, Mr. kodyD.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!