Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 10:38:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Snap in Carpets

Started by timtheboatguy, October 21, 2012, 07:18:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timtheboatguy

I have a customer wanting replacement carpets for a 21' bow rider. I have done a lot of carpet work but always glue in stuff. When making snap in carpets do you use regular marine carpet and just sew some biding around the edge, and what weight of carpet and what size binding do you use? Are there any do's or Don'ts that I need to be aware of?

Thanks for any tips here!

Tim
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

needles eye

great question, Tim
looking forward to your responses mate

can bind carpet edges with a dedicated carpet binding machine using a twine thread
have you seen 'em?

Jim101

We do a lot of work with the Shelby Cobra and MG / MGB crowd and they use the Lift The Dot fasteners, extended length .275" "Long Prong" L-T-D fasteners for their carpet.

As far as binding marine carpet you likely want at least a #206 thread with a binder designed for carpet.  Maybe Gregg @ Keystone has a lead on that?

We have some good leads on Lift-The-Dot fasteners if you need them.  Let me know.

Jim
jwatt@nwtarp.com

DBR1957

We pattern the carpet and send it out to Matworks or Corinthian Carpets. Corinthian Carpets doesn't
charge freight to commercial addresses. Call each and get samples.

Binding carpet doesn't work properly with the standard attachments for our machines.

Word of caution, don't use the old carpet as a pattern. I have had customers try to do it themselves
and they don't take shrinkage into account.

Mike

October 23, 2012, 05:15:32 am #4 Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:33:55 am by MikeM8560
Corinthian imo is the. Best t with the grey awua loc backing iunlike the black rubber that will stick when eet then dry in place the grey dosent stick. I have  bound it with 1"sunbrella binding  and a simple folder s pisn but can do. I found it wuicker then sending  patterns to corithian.   If you get set up with corinthian they list you as a dealer or did. I used to work with them but i lass on snap in carpets now.