Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 10:26:15 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

time to get a better machine

Started by partgypsy, August 26, 2012, 04:27:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

partgypsy

I do marine canvas and upholstery as part of my boat refitting business. I currently use a Sailrite LSZ1, but find that it's constant need of attention and the fact that it isn't a true walking foot machine, really slows me down. I am not a high volume shop but I need to get the best use of my time. I am particularly disappointed at how Phifertex screening slips between the layers of facing and thus doesn't lie flat when finished.
I know a lot of marine fabricators seem to favor Juki, but that company seem to make a confusing array of different models. I also don't know what other brands are good for my purpose. I would like to buy new, but it seems that too many manufacturers are willing to whore out their brand name by producing lesser quality merchandise.
So... what features should I look for? How much should I expect to pay for a machine that may gets use only 300 hours a year?
Thanks

JDUpholstery

I just upgraded myself to a Consew 206RB-5, I also started with what you do, boat refits, however upholstery has taken over the business and boat refitting is the side business now. I did not go through gregg @ keystone sewing, a member here, because I joined after my purchase but everyone talks very highly of him and would be a good choice to call and talk to about your needs!

gene

August 26, 2012, 06:29:50 am #2 Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:30:19 am by gene
You've got to take a serious approach to buying a new machine. You cannot approach such a major expenditure with a 'sew sew' attitude.  ;D

Do a search on this forum for 'sewing machine' and you will find a lot of discussions on this topic.

I went for years with a non walking foot machine and now have a juki lu 562 compound walking foot which is old but in great shape. I use both of them depending on what I am sewing.

From what I've read on this forum, you can't go wrong with bob in toledo ohio and Gregg in Keystone, Pa. Click the Suppliers tab at the top of this page.

best of luck,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

That Sailrite model is what it is.......a portable machine. It's probably doing all it can do.
Do you definately require a walking foot with the zig-zag feature? Or can you get by with just a walking foot?
The fact that you will only get about 300 hours of use per year may cause budgetary constraints. If so, the model that JD mentioned is certainly a good choice. But you can easily spend around 3 grand on a walking foot zig-zag machine if you want to.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I started out using the Tuffsew which is a Sailrite clone. Your right, it needed constant attention. What mine truly needed was to be thrown into the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. I lost so much production time with that stupid machine it isn't funny.

I ended up buying a Chandler 406 from Bob Kovar, a supplier on here. It has been a true workhorse, dependable, reliable and the attachments are ultra cheap. Another great machine is the Consew 206-rb5. It is the workhorse of the industry and is one of the best selling machines on the market. My other choice would be the Juki 563 which is another workhorse.

Those machines I listed will do anything and everything your ever going to want it to do. Get in touch with Bob and tell him what you need and he can give you some prices. A word of warning though, do NOT buy a machine off E-Bay. These are drop shipped machines meaning they are not setup and come right off the factory floor to you. All new machines need to be setup and unless you know what your doing some can be a real headache to time and adjust. The other issue with E-Bay purchases is customer service. These people sell you machines and that is it. You get no help from them afterwards.

Greg sells Highleads and several of the members here have them. I know nothing about them and do not know if attachments are interchangeable with other machines like the Consew, Juki and Chandler. Someone else will have to comment on them. I believe they are a bottom bobbin machine though.

Best of luck with your search,

Chris

needles eye

August 28, 2012, 05:25:24 am #5 Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:47:57 am by needles eye
Hey man, howz it hangin'.

To stop slippage between varying materials sew with something like tissue paper between the layers, afterwards you can tear the tissue paper or brown paper or whatever you've found works for you off at the seams.

Highlead's are a good walking foot sewing machine. There's better 'though. How much is your budget?  Buying new is good for after sales service, repair and setup as well help just a phone call away until you get the hang or seam of things.

If you want a good zig zag on the cheap then suggest get a Singer 20u and have someone adjust the timing to run a DP X 17 walking foot needle size 16. Run V92 thread. However the throat size is small , and, about the same as the sailrite. Any zig zag machine will never give a nice and consistent stitch compared to a dedicated straight liner. Otherwise go for a Bernina 217n [normal industrial size] with the triple stitch cam (3 sizes available 8, 10, 12) and you the can repair kites, spinnakers, sails off up to twenty footers, say, being because they have a brilliant feed mechanism for a single footer. Hot Swiss cheese bro. Triple step man!

For straight stitching if you can find an old Adler 167 or 267 on Ebay or whatever they come highly reccomended, I run a size 20 needle with M 25 thread on my 267. Try to avoid nylon thread and go for polyester or polyester cotton blend. Otherwise V138 UV resistant thread as required for any outdoor work. Just use black and white for everything!

Make sure you always use good needles (the german ones in blue pack) and at the first sign of any hiccups or blurred vision change your needle.

I also run a Singer 132 k6 it's a big momma and good for the larger stuff (real big throat) and you can buy them secondhand pretty well assured that they are indestructible.

Jukis have a great reputation being with good reason and many a sewer worth his salt has one.

Without ill will or without favour seems there's a big joint in Miami somewhere that sells machines real cheap and deliver Statewide, and, they advertize big on the net. Course our local blokes Bob and Gregg might cut you a better deal. Fish around, tight lines.

Hey good luck bud,
cheers mate

Edit  - reading your post again see you are allowing for 300 hrs pa my advice is go the Bernina 217n to stay within budget and get it serviced after purchase. You'll love it.  Bernina's rock.

Jim101

We have a few different machines.  All either Singer or Pfaff.

By far the best machine we have is the Pfaff 1245. I like because it has the self oiling sewing hook, but beyond that its built like a Sherman Tank and it will sew anything we can put under the needle.

I've been told the 1245 will sew through a sheet of plywood.  While I haven't tried it, and I don't plan to, I know it will go through several layers of Sunbrella or 32 oz. vinyl easily.  We've never had to reset the needle bar, time it, or service it in anyway except for oiling the beast and occasionally reset the feed drive eccentric.

Pound for pound the best sewing machine around... In my opinion

I should mention I have seen a Singer Class 7 sew through a half dollar when I was in the Navy, but that's another story entirely.  ;D

Jim