Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 04:01:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Oh Snap!

Started by jojo, April 17, 2012, 06:42:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,
I have a 1989 Sea Nymph GLS that needs a cover. It's an aluminum boat, and I've never screwed snaps into an aluminum boat before. Can or should this be done? If so, is there any special precautions/procedures?

Grebo

I believe you should use an isolating paste. Sorry not done it my self but we did built our own aluminum masts up from kits.
If you don't one metal will 'eat' the other. They are two dissimilar metals ( as you probably guessed ) To far apart on the galvanic scale or something technical...

Suzi

Jim101

Aluminum rivets are your friend in this case, and if at all possible, utilize stainless snaps, as I doubt there is such a thing as aluminum snaps. 

I've also never used "isolating paste".   Didn't even know such a thing existed.  Would have loved to have known about such a "paste" while in the Navy in the 70's. 

Corrosion control was, and still is, a never ending job.  Did I mention I was stationed in the Philippines for my first duty station?  Life in the tropics is tough on metal.  I can tell you all about corrosion.

Dissimilar corrosion is always a problem when dealing with  metal.  No way around it.   Anode /  cathode and all that stuff.   I'm sure Google / Wikipedia will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

Good luck!

Jim

jojo

April 17, 2012, 03:42:31 pm #3 Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:49:12 pm by jojo
Thanks. Where can I get these aluminum rivets?
Or does anyone have any info on this "isolating paste"?

Jim101

Peppy

I wouldn't worry about paste. In fresh water it's really not a problem. If you really really care, Jennis sells snap washers, a plastic or rubber dooie that goes between the snap and the boat. They say something about it sealing the snap too. I've never used them. The only isolating paste I've ever used is paint. As in, the boat was painted and I put a snap in it ;)
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Grebo

OOh I was thinking salt water.  :-X

Suzi