Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 02:55:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

help making seat covers with welting

Started by jim fuchs, February 27, 2011, 02:15:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jim fuchs

i have a 1/4 welt foot , have no problom making the weld cording  but when i start sewing the sides on i cant seam to keep the needle close to the welt . and it looks bad with the sides droping down  on the run with the side over the sewed on welt i cant seam to tell where its at .  what helps jim 

BigJohn

Jim:
     I have to first say that I'm not a full time professional but rather a hobbyist that has taken a few side jobs. I have had the same problems and have found that using color matching thread rather than the standard white helps cover a lot of sins. I don't attempt to sew the welt real tight, but then when I assemble the seam using the same 1/4 inch welt foot and the color matched thread things tighten up and the thread isn't as visible if you happen to get a little peak of it. I have also found in some cases a little extra side pressure with my fingers helps keep things tight.

Big John

jim fuchs

my welt when i sew it is tight and looks good and i line it up on edge 1/2 inch wide to the 1/2 i leave on top . but im have the drop down when i start sewing the sides  on top of the welt and top pc . jim

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jim fuchs

1/4 inch welt foot  consew 206    i made the welt its looks good .

MinUph

1/4" welt foot 5/32" welt cord. Fold and sew the welt on to the fabric in one step then add the second layer of fabric. Especially with Vinyl products to less perforation the better. If you start out this way you will save a step and get use to it at the same time. Turning the fabric and welt toward the needle ever so slightly will also help tighten it up when sewing it for the last time. Ever so slightly is key as you don't want to run over the cord.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jim fuchs

the material is heavy im thinking that why im having troble holding the edge tight . jim

MinUph

yes jim that could indeed be an issue. If it is really heavy a 1/4" cord might help. Depending on you definition of heavy.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

BigJohn

Ya Paul said what I meant, only in such a way that you could understand it

scarab29

Had the same. Got a new foot with the back cut out from greg @ keystone. That helped , specially on the corners ,  but try running the material through at an angle , not straight in the cut out of the foot and you'll see the stitch line of the welt won't show. I have the same machine.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.