Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 08:15:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Better Utilization of Your Shop

Started by Mojo, August 25, 2011, 10:55:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Addleman did youmleave with  some sort of retirement plan?
Beacause if younstwrted doing this work it ain't there

Saddleman

Mike, I worked for a privately owned corporation and their only retirement plan was a 401K.... 

If I wanted a retirement plan I would get elected to congress.   

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Finally, a worthwhile post from Mojo!  Lol. Let me get back to this and respond later, Great Stuff.

sofadoc

August 26, 2011, 02:42:22 pm #18 Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:46:04 pm by sofadoc
Gregg: I like the new signature line!
How much did the registered trademark set you back? ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

GREAT posts, Mojo.

I'm in the hometown of one of the world's greatest marketers, Procter & Gamble.   Unfortunately, all the P&G people I know are Chemical or Mechanical Engineers, not marketers.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

byhammerandhand

Yep, been there, done that, too.  Company I worked for for 24 years only had a 401(k), which they had a "discretionary company matching program."   Problem is, their total match for the whole time I worked there was a big 0.    I made contributions a priority because I knew I could not rely on anyone else.

I get a little irritated by my teacher niece who bemoans her 180 days of work a year, while also getting  paid pension, guaranteed raises based on "time and space," great healthcare, tenure, full retirement after 30 years (~age 52), etc.

Quote from: Saddleman on August 26, 2011, 02:24:23 pm
Mike, I worked for a privately owned corporation and their only retirement plan was a 401K.... 

If I wanted a retirement plan I would get elected to congress.   
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

Quote from: byhammerandhand on August 26, 2011, 03:23:48 pm
GREAT posts, Mojo.

I'm in the hometown of one of the world's greatest marketers, Procter & Gamble.   Unfortunately, all the P&G people I know are Chemical or Mechanical Engineers, not marketers.

I did some marketing work for P & G in NASCAR, manly with Ricky Rudd. They had some marketing wizzes for sure and I did learn alot from them. They did a few things that were out of the norm but it worked well for them.

Also worked with GM, Ford, Oldsmobile, Ashland Oil ( Valvoline ), US Air and many other companies. One of my mentors was the VP of marketing for NASCAR. You learn a lot from these mega million companies.

I loved the work. :)

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on August 26, 2011, 02:42:22 pm
How much did the registered trademark set you back? ;)

Shhhhh!  I was wating for someone to notice on thier own!@#   ;D

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Mojo,

I think one thing you will find is that with many small businesses, you are dealing with either an individual or a very small group of people responasble for a wide variety of tasks.  Rarely do they get the time to sit down and come up with a marketing strategy.  Most are either busy answering phone calls, working up estimates, doing manual labor/installs, accounts receivables/payable, and all sorts of in between stuff, wearing many different hats. 

NOW, would it be to their benefit to have a professional salesperson, or a marketing professional on their payroll?  SURE.  Damn sure, but it's one of those things that normally seems to get overlooked.  Most have a hard time pricing jobs, let alone the means or opportunity to come up with an effective marketing scheme.  And many who can, well, let's use the old "You can lead a horse to water, but..."  Some are reluctant, don't see the value in it, or resist change in the way they approach their business, going outside of their comfort zone.

Me...I'm all ears, and knew you would find a way to crowbar your life's work and experiences on a Upholstery message board!

Honestly, thanks for sharing, I will have some questions later on, count on it. 

Mojo

Greg:

You can ask the experts and they will tell you that the very best tradespeople are typically not the best businessmen. And the best businessmen typically make the worst tradespeople.

No one can be everything and there is no shame in that. I am not the best mechanic and I struggle at upholstery. I turn out quality work but it take me twice as long as most on this forum. But I can crank our a business plan or marketing program or a brand campaign or a press release in no time flat. :)

I really like upholstery work but I LOVE business, marketing and PR work. It was my passion since I was 14 years old.

I am always willing to answer questions either publicly or privately here because I think the world of the forum members here. You people all rock.

Chris

PDQ

August 27, 2011, 05:43:45 am #25 Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:44:49 am by PDQ
Every single job I do are special offers.  :P

I suppose I could do Special, special offers, ;) but I wonder how it would go down with the guy on berth K42 whom just paid £600+ for his replacement sprayhood in July and then finds out his neighbour on K43 just got one a lot cheaper in September?  :o  >:(

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on August 27, 2011, 03:43:27 am

I really like upholstery work but I LOVE business, marketing and PR work. It was my passion since I was 14 years old.

Chris

now you got me curios  what was going on at 14 were you franchising. Neighhood lemonade stands ?

Mojo

Quote from: Mike8560 on August 27, 2011, 06:57:59 am
Quote from: Mojo on August 27, 2011, 03:43:27 am

Chris

now you got me curios  what was going on at 14 were you franchising. Neighhood lemonade stands ?

My Godfather was a commercial real estate developer and I worked for him doing odd jobs on some of his properties. But I spent a lot of time at his office and he took the time to show me the art of marketing properties, homes, rental units, etc. He had a firm grasp on the customer psych and I found it fascinating and thankfully he always took the time to teach me rather then saying " your just a kid and wouldn't understand ". His brother was also a developer and the vast majority of his friends were all business owners and his office was the " gangs " hang out. I picked up a lot of what they were talking about and sat in the corner like a sponge taking it all in. I think that is when I developed my love for marketing and pr work.

Chris

ScersteeP

Best online Canadian Pharmacy         
http://canadianfarmacy.co.cc     
Guaranteed Delivery

ScersteeP

Best online Canadian Pharmacy         
http://canadianfarmacy.co.cc     
Delivery Guaranteed