Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:39:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Spin off 3

Started by Mike8560, August 26, 2011, 08:12:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

On thebsubject of retail sales   
I was just glancing at a copy of the " defende" catalouge. Boat parts for retail. I saw a page witha sewing machine. Looks like a  sailrite ropy with a table $500 and a engle hotknife $128.
Sunbrella 60" is $18.24 binding

Mojo

That Sailrite machine is made under various names. I have the same machine but it is called a Tuffsew. I have seen it painted different colors and badged under different names. E-Bay is loaded with this machine.

That is what I paid for my Engle hot knife through Sailrite. With the blade, foot and 2 day air shipping it came to just over $ 200. I liked how Rochford did the complete package with the hot knife. Most dealers sell just the kinfe, the blade and the foot separately. Rochford sells it all in a package and makes it a bit cheaper. Since I am boycotting Rochford I called Sailrite and they matched their price and made me a package deal as well. BTW, that thing cuts acrylics beautifully. What a time saver it was and it was really worth the investment.

Cannot comment on the price of Sunbrella. Never used it. :)

Chris

Mike8560

Find it slow myself cutting say a cover for a 20 somthing boat if I cut it out with the k ice it take me a long time compare to my shears.   I just use the knife niow to cut / melt things off like a zipper.

Darren Henry

The time saved is more the time that you would use if you had to bind all those seams or serge them to avoid fraying.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

August 28, 2011, 11:19:10 am #4 Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:21:13 am by Mike8560
Well Darren I donhave to cut then bind thebentire esce of a cover  
And on the inside of a top I loke to se the inside seam bound it just looks beter to me then a raw esce along with the pocket bound.

Allan

Mike

Those machines at Defender are the Barracuda from Reliable
They are the same as the Sailrite machine only half the price
I imported one to use as a portable machine

Allan