Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 01:46:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

RV Swivel Chairs

Started by lamx, March 28, 2013, 10:58:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lamx

March 28, 2013, 10:58:18 am Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:05:43 pm by lamx
  I am recovering all the upholstered pieces in an older RV for a customer. I was ready to cut out the back of one of the swivel chairs in the dinette area when I noticed one side of the old fabric was higher than the other. I checked the frame and the foam padding is higher on one side than the other. Then, I compared to the unstripped companion chair and it is also higher on one side than the other. Both are higher on the left than on the right, so it's not a mirror image thing.  The owner knows of no reason why they should not be symmetrical and I don't either.

There is enough "give" in the high corner that I think just making the new cover the right shape will pull it down enough so it's not noticeable. Before I do, I wanted to ask if anyone else has had the same issue and opinions on whether to reshape or not reshape.

Ed

sofadoc

I'm wondering if the factory accidentally installed 2 leftys, instead of a righty and a lefty. I've seen some that are intentionally lower on one side to prevent view obstruction.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

I wonder ik it has something to do with a seatbelt. but still youd think righty lefty

gene

I may not be understanding this correctly.

Is it possible that people sitting in these chairs lean to the right and therefore the right side is squished down more than the left side?

If it's a design issue I would have no idea why one side would be higher than the other.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

lamx

Mystery solved - I think!

For some reason, I never looked at the underlying frame to see if the chair was built lop-sided or not. The frame is straight across, no high or low side.  All the asymmetry is in the foam padding.  Apparently, it was just a crappy upholstering job that re-shaped the foam over the years..

Ed

baileyuph

Ok to laugh Ed, that is a funny one.  So, will your covering rectify or will it require a little extra help by steaming the foam?

Doyle