Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 08:14:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Can't find workers? I can't find work!

Started by phoenix, September 04, 2010, 05:14:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

phoenix

I have over 30 years experience as an auto trimmer/upholsterer/marine canvas/awning/aircraft/furniture tech/finisher.I've been an employee and an employer.
I've seen good times and bad in this business...Right now things are tough,so I've been looking for work.I have applied to many jobs on the internet(nationwide)but receive no responses.Any of the smaller companies looking for skilled people are not willing to pay a fair wage.I am willing to relocate,but no one is willing to step up to the plate and pay for any or part of relocation costs.What do you expect to pay a skilled upholsterer?I've got the skill...who's willing to step up to the plate!

206RB

September 04, 2010, 04:10:46 pm #1 Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:29:35 pm by 206RB
I also have more than 30 years exp. 35 to be exact. I'm getting paid 33 an hour with 2 weeks vacation, 1 week sick pay and health insurance. I haven't ever been unemployed in those 35 years. That's the good part. The bad part is I work my but off and I'm starting to get a bad attitude too :) (I just want to go fishing)
Go where the money is.

206RB

San Fransisco??? Not a state. But I hear the city employees can get a free sex change if they want.

206RB

Well, I'm glad  don't live there then.
Mike
Quote from: Ihavenoname on September 06, 2010, 03:15:12 pm
Yep it's true.

http://www.sfgsa.org/index.aspx?page=391

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2010/08/san-francisco-likes-mandatory-employer-health-coverage/61965/

Unless things have now changed since these articles, SF, a city not a state, mandates and regulate health care for even none city workers.

stitcher_guy

Ihavenoname "The problem is not the skilled worker but stems form most upholstery shop owners not really wanting to be business owners and simply just want a pay check. Thus your hard time finding a job. Simply most shops don't want full book upholsterers but want a cheap helper who can remove cover fast and do unskilled work."

Damn, noname. Talk about a cheap shot. I'm actually offended. Do tell me, please, in Central Illinois where I'm lucky to get people to pay me $49/hr for my services, how do I meet what you require? Oh, yeah, and lets toss in that half the moving expenses to get you here. Hmmm, and the health insurance, which I can't even afford for myself, hence my wife working as a nurse.

Oh, and then you tell me how you're going to react in about February when it's slow and I can't make your paycheck, so I say "well, best of luck." Or better yet, when your 30+ years of experience haven't done a damned thing for your skill, and you still suck at your job and should never have even thought you were as good as me in the first place, and do nothing to help grow my business.

Please, do the damn math for me. I'd love to see it.  You have absolutely no clue how I operate my business. Like hell I just want a paycheck and am not a business owner.

mike802

September 07, 2010, 06:38:28 am #5 Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:18:28 am by mike802
I grew up in a business, my father ran a service station for years.  He has changed the business over the years and today it is a convenience store and he rents the mechanic bays out.  My grandmother and grandfather ran a deli and a restaurant, they where able to retire in there 40's.  My father is still working at 65 and has been trying to retire for the last 5.  He owns over a million in business property, but it is doing him no good because he cannot sell it in this economy.    When I first went into business I tried running my shop like a "real" business, I even have a business degree, but I almost lost everything.  I regrouped and have been operating the business out of my home, keeping expenses and over head as low as possible, my business is dept free.  I live in a small state with no major metropolitan areas, unless you want to call Burlington Vermont a major metropolitan! and I am still 2 hours away from there.  What I have learned is upholstery, and handcrafted furniture are business's that fill a nitch.  They will never be major players in the economy. If someones only drive for working is to make as much money as they possible can than upholstery is the wrong field for them.  But if someone is an artist and takes pride in there work, has a need for a creative outlet, them upholstery may be a good fit.  Unfortunately we as upholsters and most small business's in general have been fighting a shrinking economy for most of our professional lives.  My grandparents retired in there 40"s, my father is 65 but cant retire until he sells his business, or at least the property it sits on.  I don't think I will be able to retire, I own no were near the property my father does because my business will not support it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mike8560

Why are we talking about SF? if im not wrong Phenox is in my are. Wish i could help you Phenix but as you know its slow and the off season.dont get upset Russ, I cant afford insurance either. and even customer dont want to pay a decent wage  ::) ive got more expenses running a buisness then if I stayed at home and slept all day

chevman57

Well i`m a one man shop and in a small town in Texas. Glad to read that yall are running into the same situations as me. Every one wants to recover this piece and have it done for 20 bucks. HA, the material is more than that. If my shop wasn`t at my home i`d be finding a new career.
Terry