Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 09:04:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What goes around comes around

Started by sofadoc, November 26, 2013, 11:23:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Interesting turn of events late this afternoon. The woman's husband came in and apologized for his wife's attitude. He offered to pay for any damages done to my roof by their roofing crew.

He also brought me a key to the building next door for future access (the building is only used for storage).

My building has a flat roof. 2600 sq.feet with a foam insulation top. The foam was installed 35 years ago. It originally came with a 25 year warranty. Still no leaks, but the foam is badly deteriorated. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

November 28, 2013, 08:07:04 am #16 Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:07:52 am by gene
Class: showing stylish excellence.

Glad it worked out that way, Sofad. We spend a lot of time at work and it can become difficult if it's not a pleasant experience.

I'm between you and June on the liability issue. At home I would loan a tool to any neighbor who asked, even if I did not know them very well. I would be glad to help.

At work, I would only loan a tool to a friend or someone I knew well. I won't even sign for a UPS or FedEx package for someone else unless I know the person/company very well. Work is to make money and there are many more liability issues involved. My shop insurance went up 50% this year and I've never had a claim.

As my business advisor at SCORE says, "In business, I can be a nice guy or a business man. But not both. Now I can be a business man who is a nice guy, who puts business issues first."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBGG49T50E

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Actually, I have no concern at all about liability issues. Nor do I worry about my insurance being canceled (since I don't have any). In Texas, we just don't sue each other at the drop of a hat.

My roof is old and weak, and I just didn't want a bunch of men transporting heavy materials across it. They left several cracks in the foam insulation that will have to be patched. The woman's husband has already given me $500 to patch cracks, and promised more if necessary.

He offered to have his roofing crew do the repairs to my roof. But something just doesn't seem right about rewarding the guys that damaged it by hiring them to fix it.

As for loaning tools. I do occasionally, but with no expectation of getting them back in usable condition. Or for that matter, no expectation of getting them back at all. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

QuoteIn Texas, we just don't sue each other at the drop of a hat

'Cause y'all pack more guns around than a morter platoon. ;D It's a lot of walks home after dark before your case would come up in court.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

December 06, 2013, 06:20:37 pm #19 Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:22:03 pm by kodydog
Quote from: sofadoc on November 27, 2013, 07:38:41 pm
He also brought me a key to the building next door for future access (the building is only used for storage).

I'd say now is a good time to pay a midnight visit and find out what she was so worried you were going to see.

Weapons of mass destruction? Hmm.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html