Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 09:02:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pontoon Boat Seat Protection Seat Covers - Suggested materials?

Started by baileyuph, September 20, 2011, 05:58:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

These protection covers have been specified to be water proof and attatched with snaps or elastic cord.

The seats are, in general slightly curved across top and incorporate sloping arms.  They are upholstered to the floor, rather plush for a pontoon typically used in this area.  Customer's idea is to be able to just uncover a single or couple seats go for a spin without uncovering the entire array of seats.  I am seeing making the covers challenging with respect to avoiding water pockets, standing water in the seat area.  to avoid this, the cover will have to be fitted tight enough across that area, which puts stress on the material.  

Anyone been through this requirement with experience to share or any ideas?

Aqualon comes up, wish there was something a little more supple.
Doyle

MinUph

This is a good question. We have these on our pontoon and they are made of very thin vinyl of some sort. I wish i knew what vinyl it is as it is very thin, strong and supple. I am making some new seating for the rear section and would like to make covers for it. The upholstery on the 1999 pontoon is in excellent shape and I'm sure it has allot to do with the covers. Ours are fitted well and snap on. I can take pictures if you'd like to see them maybe it will help. Let me know.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Sent you an email Paul.

Excited about seeing the covers in photo.  Maybe well fitted is the way to go, that is around the arms down the inside to the seat cushion.  Your photos will help in this issue, I am thinking.

The material to use should be as you described, especially the supple characteristic.

Doyle

Peppy

I've made a few of these. I make them fitted but with a slope from the top of the back to the front of the seat. The arms are like a pocket off the slope. I might have a picture if you need. I pattern with paper and would fit with snaps. Probably over the rail on the outside backs.

I'd use Odyssey, sunbrella, or top gun depending on the customer. Personaly I might pick Odyssey because it's light and not too bulky when stored.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

baileyuph

Peppy, 

Let's take a look at yours, I understand the slope from top to lower front, I think.  A picture would confirm what the arm effect is.  I think you are saying there is a slight pocket in the bottom seating area?

Odessy, light and flexible, sounds good go me.  I think a close picture of that, might answer some questions also.

It is assumed that these covers will be exposed to wind and of course rain, Paul has a very good idea that I also want to see on securing them down.  That and the seam lines will be some primary points of interest. 

Back to the slope, pockets, and pooling of water, I suppose a slight amount of water wouldn't be too big of a problem, after all how deep would it pool.

The boat is down at the lake, I suppose to pattern, a trip down there is coming.  So far, I have only seen a few photos of the seats.  Like I said, to me, the seats are a little more upscale than the routine.

I will look through my samples and see if I can find a sample of Odessy.  Is this a brand or a line of a brand.  I am familiar with the others you mentioned.

Thanks Peppy, when you have time, go ahead and shoot those pictures. 

Doyle

MinUph

Quote from: DB on September 20, 2011, 05:19:46 pm
Sent you an email Paul.

Excited about seeing the covers in photo.  Maybe well fitted is the way to go, that is around the arms down the inside to the seat cushion.  Your photos will help in this issue, I am thinking.

The material to use should be as you described, especially the supple characteristic.

Doyle

I replied with pictures. Have fun Doyle
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

timtheboatguy

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Peppy

http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering