Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 03:22:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Consew 146RB-2A-1 three-point, two-step zigzag

Started by Tejas, August 03, 2013, 11:56:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejas

Recently looked at a Consew 146RB-2A-1 for sale for about $2500. Seller claimed less than 10 hours use, and claimed to have moved to automated machines and no longer had use for this machine. The small shop had several large machines - Mitsubishi, Seico (SKZ-2B perhaps), Juki post - but nothing I'd call automated.

The machine made a good stitch and punched through as much heavy webbing and canvas I could get under the foot. However, when turning the hand wheel the machine seemed to bind as the needle rose and required quite a force to cycle. The only way I could get the needle thread to release was to rock the back and forth, which was quite difficult, and the needle thread only released about 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time. I did notice that the belt seemed quite tight, but I didn't think to remove the belt to see if that might have been part of the problem.

I have a Bernini zigzag that turns quite smoothly and freely.

I thinking no thank you.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Mojo

Dave:

Bob Kovar specializes in alot of these machines like this. Give him a call and talk with him.
He is one of the best in the business and has seen just about every type of mechanical problem with a machine.

Tell him I suggested you give him a call. he is always willing to help us members over the phone like this. His number is 419-380-8540. If he is not in ask to speak to his son Bobby.

Chris

DDandJ

Tejas

Quote from: DDandJ on August 04, 2013, 06:27:03 am
Tejas, what Bernina model do you have?

Bernina 217N with a cam reader. However, I do not have it running yet -- I'm waiting for a table and motor.
Dave

sofadoc

Dave

I don't know anything about that model, but I think it would concern me that it binds on the UP-stroke. It's probably easily adjusted, but I still think that I'd want that done before I shelled out $2500 on it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DDandJ

Dave,

I have a Bernina 950.  There was a 217 for sale on Craigslist not far from me.  From the pics it was in near perfect condition.  I believe they were wanting $975 for it.  I thought it was a little pricey.  I'd like to have one.  Maybe one will find me one day.  They have a way of doing that :)

Jeremy

Tejas

August 04, 2013, 10:11:31 am #6 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:12:20 am by Tejas
Quote from: sofadoc on August 04, 2013, 08:13:48 am
I don't know anything about that model, but I think it would concern me that it binds on the UP-stroke. It's probably easily adjusted, but I still think that I'd want that done before I shelled out $2500 on it.

Thanks for the comment. The binding did occur on the up-stroke.
Dave

Mojo

It could be the safety clutch. I am not familiar with that model machine but when I hit a wire with my Chandler it tripped the clutch and it would bind going up and down.

I would give Bob a call and ask him.

Chris

Bob T

August 04, 2013, 06:05:14 pm #8 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:07:13 pm by Bob T
I had a Consew 146RB-2A for about 5 years.  I now have a Bernina 217N with the cam reader and there is no comparison.  The Bernina makes work easy and the Consew makes work hard.  It was almost impossible to keep in correct time.  I would need to time it about once every month.  As for the Bernina, I've never had to time it in 7 years.  When I sold the Consew, I was glad to see it go and I would never buy another one.  The Consew broke needles often and skipped stitches often.  The Bernina has a brilliant design for their hook assembley that guides the needle into the perfect place to make a perfect stitch.  It breaks a needle maybe once a month.  I highly endorse the Groz-Beckert 134 San 6 needles for the 217N and I get mine from Universal Sewing Supply.

Tejas

Quote from: Bob T on August 04, 2013, 06:05:14 pm
 I highly endorse the Groz-Beckert 134 San 6 needles for the 217N.

Bob T, thanks for the tip on needles. Would you please tell me the thread size you are using, and the material and number of layers you are sewing.

Also, are you using multi-point multi-step cams? I have a box of cams but not the multi-point multi-step cams. I'm thinking of buying after-market Deirin plastic cams.
Dave

Bob T

August 05, 2013, 07:05:53 am #10 Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:09:52 am by Bob T
I repair windsurfing sails so I'm usually stitching 4 to 10 layers of cloth and film.  Sometimes the thickness of all the materials can by up to 5/16" and will just barely fit under the presser foot.  About 95% of the time I use size 69 thread, and use size 92 for the other 5%.  The Bernina just barely tollerates the size 92 thread.  The cam I have is for the multi-step zigzag often found on the windsurfing sails.  I'm unfamiliar with the delrin cams as the cam on mine is brass.  These cams don't see much stress, so the delrin should work great.