Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 12:24:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Juki 1541 on craigslist for $395

Started by Tejas, January 02, 2012, 05:13:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejas

Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

RocketmanMH1

I think it may be a scam?  Either way there's an idiot at the controls :D
Meaning............ I don't know anyone that would give there machine away.

bobbin

Or maybe there's a very sad story behind it...

an untimely death and a bereaved family "cleaning up"
a bankruptcy and subsequent "fire sale"
a "repo." and the end of someone's dreams

But, it's always wise to consider a scam, too.  It is a helluva deal.  I have a 1541 and I absolutely love it.  It's a superb machine. 

Rich

Not fa nuthin' but that's not the only machine in the picture.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

RocketmanMH1

Hey, I'm not one to find the bad in everything, but if you look real close in the pic.... that is not a used machine in the pic. It is a pic from someones showroom, I'm positive that I have been to that site to look at machines before.

bobbin

Not a "used machine"? by whose definition? not everyone beats their machines up in the process of using them.  I have two machines that are technically "used" but are in pristine condition, one of them is 6 yrs. old and the dealer from whom I purchased it remarked that it was "mint" when he delivered my 1541 (close to 2 yrs. ago now).   

I understand your skepticism, and it's rightly considered whenever one makes a decision to purchase "used" equipment... "let the buyer beware"!  But there are some wonderful deals out there for the discerning and just because it looks "too good to be true" doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't the deal of the century.

RocketmanMH1

I was just saying the machine in the picture is not used, meaning the pic was copied from a site that I think is Gregg's.  "Not actual photo"  should be used to describe in the ad if the machine is actually used.  Just falling back on years of craigs list exp. some positive some negative, but rule of thumb "If it seems to good to be true it usually is".

Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't want to be misunderstood :)

JuneC

Yep, he stole Gregg's picture.  Look at his photo closely - the background stuff on the wall, other machine, minor details.  Then look at this from Gregg's website.
  http://store.keysew.com/sewing-machines/juki-sewing/juki-dnu-1541s-with-assembled-power-stand-setup-ready-to-sew

Zoom it in for the large image and compare.  Same picture.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

You know, if the machine is in near mint condition, then I don't have a problem with them using Gregg's pic for reference only. But at $395, I smell a rat.
I bought a 1508 off Craigslist for $375. It was in very good condition, but it did have the usual paint missing from the neck where ths scissors bang into it about a hundred times a day. Just enough little pings and dings to let you know that it wasn't a brand new machine.
If the seller knew where to steal that photo, then he or she also knows the true value of that machine. That "rat smell" is getting stronger.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

RandyOnR3

just a note and maybe someone can shead some light on the subject..
I, myself just ordered a 1541 and should recieve it this comming week..  asked around a bit about the "s" model and the "7" model of the 1541..
 was told the "7" model is completely computerized for production use and the "S" series of the 1541 is the unit with a safty system to kick out the opperation if it becomes bound up for any reason..
 Talked to one person who bought the "S" version and he went on saying it was crap.. the safety unit in the machine is a seperate transmition and drops out of time and misses stitches constantly..  He was selling his to re-purchase a standard 1541..

sofadoc

I think the person who bought the S version has other problems beside the safety mech kicking out.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: RandyOnR3 on January 02, 2012, 02:00:46 pm
 just a note and maybe someone can shead some light on the subject..
I, myself just ordered a 1541 and should recieve it this comming week..  asked around a bit about the "s" model and the "7" model of the 1541..
 was told the "7" model is completely computerized for production use and the "S" series of the 1541 is the unit with a safty system to kick out the opperation if it becomes bound up for any reason..
 Talked to one person who bought the "S" version and he went on saying it was crap.. the safety unit in the machine is a seperate transmition and drops out of time and misses stitches constantly..  He was selling his to re-purchase a standard 1541..

Yes, that is an image off our web site that I took.  Not the first time, nor the last someone is going to use one of our images.

As fosomeonene bashing the safety clutch mechansim...it's the very same one found on many brands and dozens of models of machines, such as  Singer 111W155, Consew 255RB, Juki LU-563, and many, many others, way too many to mention here.  Safe to say this is a reliable tried and and true safety clutch.

RocketmanMH1

I recently purchased a 1508 and it would miss a stitch and do some crazy stuff when I got it , but I went over the whole machine with a fine tooth comb and found the two set screws that hold the clutch to the shaft were loose and that gave the shaft about two degrees of timing slop.  That cured 99.2% of problems with it.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

bobbin

That's pretty funny, actually.  Reminds me of the thread about poaching pictures of other people's work.  But when it's to show a particular model of machine, I don't think it's a terribly big deal, either.  As I said, "let the buyer beware". 

I have a number of used machines in my fleet, some in far nicer condition than others, I grant you, but one is near "mint" at close to 50 yrs. old.  But I also knew what I was buying when I went shopping and I went armed with cash (the greatest bargaining chip in the world).  :)

And yes, the 7 designates a "full function" machine.