Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 04:39:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Singer 111W155 Stitch Length

Started by Tejas, November 01, 2011, 06:29:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejas

I've not been successful adjusting the stitch length on my 111W155. While holding down the left-most plunger and pulling the hand-wheel forward, the plunger locks in just as the thread take-up lever starts up from its lowest position. The number 18 appears on the stitch indication disk. The current SPI is actually about 5. According to the instructions, with the plunger still engaged, rotation of the hand-wheel should enable changing the SPI. However, the the hand-wheel does not turn.

Would someone please correct the procedure described above or suggest corrective action.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

JuneC

I own two of those beasts.  One doesn't have a stitch length indicator.  I guess somewhere along the line a repair guy removed it.  And the other has one, but it's only marginally accurate.

My old black one with the indicator will turn quite freely - too much so - when the plunger is pushed and engaged.  It's easy to change length, though since the indicator isn't accurate, it's a "turn and test".  I say it turns too easily because it seems to change stitch length by itself.  I'm having trouble with it holding and I don't know yet if it's a worn part or something I could adjust myself. 

My newer silver one, when the plunger engages, I have to stand up and fight to get the flywheel to turn.  It's so stiff as to make you think it isn't going to turn.  Maybe this is the case with yours.  Be aware, just the slightest adjustment will change the stitch length significantly. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Toledo Mach. Sales

The calibration of the stitch length disc is off,,if you open the top plate look @ the disc w/the # on it you'll see 2 set screws,you'll have to turn the machine alittle to find the second one.Loosen them them, push on the button & turn the machine until it goes down,this is your # 5 setting then turn the disc until #5 shows in the little window,then tighten both the screws & double check.Ok now to shorten the length when you push the button down @#5 turn the machine backwards & this will shorten it.The button will go down where ever you released it at from the last time you set it.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Tejas

Thank you Bob.

There is only one, recessed set screw, and calibration was possible with a modified screwdriver. However, after calibration, with the plunger held down the machine still seems to be locked when trying to turn the machine backwards.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Mike8560

I have 2 11w155s my favorite has the setting on the flywheel. I wonder how old it would have to be to have that.   It's the o ly o e I've seen
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/3f2549da.jpg

Toledo Mach. Sales

Dave,Try putting some oil underneath all over the stitch lentgh cam area,it may have frozen from lack of use.
Mike,I've seen alot of the old 111w's with that style of stitch length & never have dated them machines to know when the stopped making them,I'm guessing they stopped in the 1930's
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Mojo

1930's ?

Geeezz. Isn't that when you first started working on machines bob ?

;D

Chris

Toledo Mach. Sales

HAHAHAHAHA you are so funny :P :P :P :P :P
Don't you have some work to do??
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Mojo

I will get right on that work Boss.

Geeeshh, your worse then my wife. She is always kicking me out of the house and into the Up Shop. :)

Chris

Mojo

Bob:

Maybe Greg will now realize - It isn't him I enjoy harassing. It is machine dealers in general. I am an equal opportunity harasser and do not discriminate between dealers. :)

OK, I need to get back to work before Bob fires me. :)

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

November 02, 2011, 07:39:53 am #10 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:15:57 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: Mojo on November 02, 2011, 05:21:29 am
Bob:

Maybe Greg will now realize - It isn't him I enjoy harassing. It is machine dealers in general. I am an equal opportunity harasser and do not discriminate between dealers. :)

Chris

...very accustomed to the "Stump the Sewing Machine guy" game.  I've played it many times in all kinds of settings.

slow96z

Quote from: Mike8560 on November 01, 2011, 11:53:58 am
I have 2 11w155s my favorite has the setting on the flywheel. I wonder how old it would have to be to have that.   It's the o ly o e I've seen

My 111W101 has the stitch length indicator in the same spot as yours.  I have no idea the age of the machine but based on serial number records and the gaps between them I'm guessing mine is from 1911.

kodydog

Quote from: Mojo on November 02, 2011, 05:21:29 am
Bob:

Chris

You know Mojo must be feeling better when he starts harassing poor Greg and Bob. One day hes going to run them right off this board.  :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

Quote from: slow96z on November 02, 2011, 02:18:08 pm
Quote from: Mike8560 on November 01, 2011, 11:53:58 am

My 111W101 has the stitch length indicator in the same spot as yours.  I have no idea the age of the machine but based on serial number records and the gaps between them I'm guessing mine is from 1911.
Slow is your just an indicator. Mine is a dial that adjusts the stitch length. If there were numbed I can't see them anymore.

slow96z

It is a dial with numbers etched into it, this is definately where the length is adjusted.